Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Describe your hardest, most frustrating job(s).

when i was a younger man here in rankin, i was an apprentice working for the department of public works, plumbing department.

of course it was -40. most likely windy. just the way i love it.

the first indication that there was anything wrong was when the sewage starting pouring out of one of the manholes. believe me, for such a small town it was a lot of sewage. grey with a slight tint of brown with little splashes of white here and there.

collapsed 10" sewer main. that may not sound very big compared to what some of you guys are dealing with down south but for up here that's a lot of poop.

i believe it took us a week of steaming and scraping the perma-frost to get to the main. it was only down about 6'.

when we finally dug down far enough to work on replacing the pipe, guess who "volunteered" to cut the pipe. yup. a rainsuit, rubber boots, rubber gloves and duct tape.

i'd have to say that not only was the most frustrating repair job i have done up until now, i would also have to say that it was the most rewarding job i've done so far.

Vince

the technology back in the mid 80's was nothing compared to today's. although steaming still has to be done, at least it's not a cleaver brooks boiler on a trailer that had to be lit up with a wick after the 10 hp motor was running.

Re: Describe your hardest, most frustrating job(s).

Pi$$es me off just thinking about some of them...

I've got a couple of older areas of town that have 1.5" / 2" CI washer drain lines under slab %$%#^T#%^^

I cringe everytime I get a washer B/U. The sad part is it is only going to get worse as these homes continue to age.

I will find the perfect way to clear them someday...

Comment

Staying married

Hands down, Christmas 1983

4 degrees with a stiff wind. Broken 3" ductile water service to a Wash DC elementary school. 16 feet deep with no shoring. Mud soaked walls caving in every 10 minutes. Backhoe operator was green. A recipe for disaster. I'm stuck in the hole because my mechanic hurts his back and won't get out of the truck. My boot falls off trying to pull myself out of the mud. It's lost forever. So I throw on a pair of tennis shoes. Dropped the ductile on my hand. I thought my fingers were going to fall off. Actually, I was hoping they did because there was no way they could hurt any more without them.

Everytime I drive pass that school I get a flashback

Making $17/hr on a scale job. Man I was living large that week

Comment

Water service repair- maintanance man/ rented backhoe.

Starts digging, getting close.

I say, "Let me find it with a shovel."

"Na, I got it."

He hooks the service and rips it out of the ground, pulls apart a ford fitting 50 away (we don't know this at this point)

Put the service back together only to find the pulled apart fitting (see above)

Start digging it up, getting close

Operator (I use that term loosely) says, "I think there is something hard down there (as he is yanking on the lever)."

Just as I yell STOP, up comes a piece of 8" clay tile.

Now we got a sewer AND a service to fix.

The hair still stands up on the back of my neck thinking about that day.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
          Pi$$es me off just thinking about some of them...

I've got a couple of older areas of town that have 1.5" / 2" CI washer drain lines under slab %$%#^T#%^^

I cringe everytime I get a washer B/U. The sad part is it is only going to get worse as these homes continue to age.

I will find the perfect way to clear them someday...
          I'll tell ya how to clear em, a hand grenade.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I have to many to try to mention it may take all nite.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Staying married
              First thing that jumped into my mind , hell it's still there .

Comment

Whatever I did yesterday.

Seems like no matter how hard things are, you can always top them.

Whether it's trying to lay sewer and drain in a trench with three feet of water or pulling baseball-sized rocks out of a sewer, it's the challenge that makes it interesting.

I worked for a sprinkler company when I was a young apprentice. They paid me journeyman's wages to install prefab sprinkler pipes - mostly 50' in the air over hot kilns in a plywood plant. Lots of "high wire" work. They were working me 16 hours a day in a very hot place. The IRS got all the overtime.

Comment

I was working in a crawl space to repair a copper leak. Customer was home but had to leave while I was under the house. I guess she wasn't thinking and let her PIT BULL out into the backyard when she left. The only way out was through the backyard crawl hole. I tried sneaking out the crawl hole but he caught me, barking and snarling, he wanted to tear my throat out! I was under there for what seemed like hours (actually about 45 minutes) before the customer came back home. Luckily I didn't have to use my torch on him! LOL

Comment

Getting community action to pay me within 30 days

without a doubt it has to be AC service work in the middle of July in an attic crawlspace that's reading over 120.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's a toss up between 3rd and 4th grade.

Comment

On it today. Repiping a house and making the connections up at the water heater and helper comes out from under the house bloody. Customer is right beside me and turns to see my helper covered in blood, cant crawl and hold your head i ask him while grabbing our first aid kit. Lesson when under a house look up. Its like a 1000 to 1 odds not in your favor. Reminds me time for a tetnus shot

Comment

Putting a 6" gate valve on a live main after Katrina. There was only around 30 psi but that's still a lot of force. Took us about 4 hours and since I was the big guy, I got the lucky job of manhandling the valve. Oh joy.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                          X