X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floodstop automatic water shut off

i've been installing floodstops/ burstburster 2000 for a couple years now.

the ones i use are the washing machine valves and the water heater valve. they also come in icemaker, dishwasher, faucet shut offs. along with a whole house shut off and remote monitors.

basically it's a motorized ball valve that's controlled by a controller with a water sensor pad.

when water hits the sensor, the controller sends current to the motorized ball valve/valves to close the valve and sets off an alarm beeper.

the theory is to prevent any further water from entering the washer/ heater.

a pretty simple inexpensive device that also allows for shutting off the washing machine remotely. you can push the red/ close button and the valve will shut. great for a hard to reach stacking washer/ dryer.
    green will open the valve

thought you guys might want to know about this.

here's a link that you can get more info from. never mind the pricing. they have contractor pricing for us

http://www.getfloodstop.com/

rick.

Attached Files
    phoebe it is

Re: Floodstop automatic water shut off

Hmmm.....That looks so easy I'll bet even an electrician could do it....

On another note what do you think is harder to spell, electrician or plumber?...

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
      Hmmm.....That looks so easy I'll bet even an electrician could do it....

On another note what do you think is harder to spell, electrician or plumber?...
      It doesn't matter, it's who can add up the bill correctly

Simon

Comment

Rick, I was looking at these at a recent trade show.

I was a bit concerned about the build quality. They just felt cheap.

Are they with standing the test of time?

Comment

I've installed the Floodstop ones for the water heater for customers a few years ago. I've been back to the houses recently, and the Floodstops are still working.

For the washing machines, I prefer to use the Watts IntelliFlow. I installed one in my house, and it works great.

http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/w...ntelliflow.asp

The biggest problem I have with the units is selling them. People will spend tons of money on everything but disaster prevention. I've been in houses with several inches of water on the floor because of burst washer hoses, or a water heater leak, and I can't sell them to 90% of the people. It's even harder to sell them to people who haven't had a problem yet. Oh well, I know my house will stay dry.

Comment

i also carry the battery operated water alarm. $20.00 and if you're home to hear it, it will let you know there's a leak.

great for a basement or water heater, washer closet.

just like a smoke alarm, it doesn't put out the fire, but lets you know there's a problem.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

NP said it best. Hard to sell preventative products in plumbing it seems.

Those valves work good but I would imagine the age thing progressively stops the actuating valve from working?

Just the for the reason that I've turn off ball valves all the time that haven't been turned off in years, and unless they've built something with fool-proof non-friction type valves....I'd like to see the internals of one to see if they've narrowed the ports to acheive less surface area to catch buildup to solve that issue.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Poor irishmans water alarm

Water alarm ,next to well water tank circa 1970s. Tank was back in Mass., in basement.
                spring loaded close pin with 2 thumb tacks in the jaws. bell wire connected to thumb tacks and dry cell battery. door bell ringer in line. Bayer Aspirin in metal thumb tack jaws. Hose bursts, bell rings.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

all the floodstop valves automatically cycle every 30 days and if they fail, you will know about it.

the valves are full port and the electric actuators are both 4 stage gear boxes and newer 5 stage gears.

by cycling every 30 days, they self test and clean.

p.s. they have a 5 years manufacturer's warranty

there is also a red and green test button that you can push anytime to test. works great for hard to get to stacking washers.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks Rick, I think I'm going to try one of the wash machine valves for my own home first to check it out.

Comment

I ordered the whole house shut-off with remote sensors. Attempted to install the main valve and found the threads on the valve to be mis-machined. the female side was over-sized as was the male side. I installed the valve, it leaked, and tested out the remotes assuming the company would send me out a new valve machined right, Unfortunately, after seeing that the remotes didn't work consistently either the homeowner lost confidence in the product. Now, the remotes not working properly could have been something I did or did not do correctly. I couldn't use the instructions to troubleshoot because they were more of an advertisement than a good set of instructions. We called the company and they said they would accept the return. I put the male and female adapters in the box so they could easily see the machining problem. If it ended there I would have been OK and would consider using their product again, assuming they would rectify the problems. Yesterday we received a call from UPS saying the company, floodstop, refused our return and would not receive it.
                      Mike

Comment

That's upsetting to us all! End of Buss. with them from Me! Any body else?
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

mike, sorry to hear about the problem you had.

i just called the company this morning and them also being in california, 6:05 am, i got their answering service.

i spoke to the operator to have the owner, scott call me on my cell to discuss what's going on.

hopefully i will have a good resolution for you.

lets give it till tonight for my followup.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Here a competing product my local Red-White rep is pushing:
                            Red-White Valve Featured Product

Comment

Rick thanks for the reply and the call in to the company. Our secretary has a call in to the company too but I haven't heard about a reply as of yet. Typically, I'm very patient about items with defects or shipping damage. That stuff happens. I just can't remember, ever, having a defective item/fixture be sent back to us. It was a bit frustrating.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X