Ya'll messin' with me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya'll messin' with me?

Are you all running around secretly creating plumbing mysteries for me?

Or should I accept I'm just not smart enough for some of them?

Today I went to a commercial building for a supposed drain problem. Everything drains fine. Sinks and toilets.

Two bathrooms.
    Opposite each other.
    Hallway in the middle.
    Toilets about 15' from each other.

The problem. Toilets & sinks sporadically lose trap seal. I witnessed it. Ran cables anyway. Peeked in with my MicroExplorer everywhere. All clear. Flushed and ran water by the camera too. No problems.

Found the outside cleanout for this part of the building. Opened it and looked in. Nothing. No water running through it. Ran water, flushed and went back to check. Water running through it fine. Made a little movie and showed the facilities manager.

But both bathrooms are giving trap seal problems. Wind across vent maybe. But strange to get such a consistent push pull even with good wind with NOTHING draining.
    And......

I cannot check any other part of the building because it is a multi-billion $$$ business that does confidential testing in FDA inspected areas. Completely true.

Ya'll gotta' be messing with me.

J.C.

Re: Ya'll messin' with me?

Just because the nature of the building, I would suspect either pressure or a vacuum created in the vent by a mechanical device.

When you say you 'witnessed' it what did it do? Did the water bounce up and down or just slowly drop out?

Comment

I would say more bounce like wind across the vents. Just seems odd to get such a strong push/pull at two different bathrooms consistently. Once while I was watching one I heard the other "glug glug" at the toilet then could here "whoooosh" at the sink.

I specifically asked had they had any pumps, air, vacuum lines touched by employees or contractors in the last 30 days. Nope.

J.C.

Comment

I just checked The Weather Channel and didn't see any high wind warnings for Nunya so I'm gunna say that's not it

Try to get up in the ceiling and open up a vent pipe. Stick your nose close to the opening and tell me if it smells like sour milk or sweet like liquorish

Put your hand on the open vent do you get a strong gust either in or out?

Maybe there is a sewer ejector connected to the gravity vent system

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          I just checked The Weather Channel and didn't see any high wind warnings for Nunya so I'm gunna say that's not it

Try to get up in the ceiling and open up a vent pipe. Stick your nose close to the opening and tell me if it smells like sour milk or sweet like liquorish

Put your hand on the open vent do you get a strong gust either in or out?

Maybe there is a sewer ejector connected to the gravity vent system
          Wondering the same thing but was told no pumps/ejectors. I removed a cleanout in 1 bathroom and there was more "push" or positive pressure to me even as I was removing the cap. "Pssssssttt" until it came out. Typical sewer odor.

WE DID have pretty strong winds today in N.C. Nunya . Do they make a wind diffuser?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

definitely sounds like a vent problem, I take it this isn't a new building. can you get on the roof and look for a birds nest in any of the vents?
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              definitely sounds like a vent problem, I take it this isn't a new building. can you get on the roof and look for a birds nest in any of the vents?
              I can get on the roof but the ladder I had with me would not reach. Looks about 20' to the top. Gonna' get up there probably next week. Too much already through Sunday.

J.C.

Comment

What fixtures above or behind.What's all the "X" stuff about?
                Before I was able to get a signed contract I had to sign a non-disclosure at the General Motor's design center.They need to let you do a proper evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  What fixtures above or behind.What's all the "X" stuff about?
                  Before I was able to get a signed contract I had to sign a non-disclosure at the General Motor's design center.They need to let you do a proper evaluation.
                  No non-disclosure. You just don't get to look!

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    No non-disclosure. You just don't get to look!

J.C.
                    Well then...I guess then there is no need for you to look

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Well then...I guess then there is no need for you to look
                      Good point. Once again, no easy ones.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Good point. Once again, no easy ones.

J.C.
                        Of course not.Those are for the three other guys that showed up before you that were cheaper.
                        Since when did you become so nieve

Comment

I'll get it. Just got to look for the dropped gates.

J.C.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Are they on the same vent? re the w/c's wall mount or floor mount?

Comment

Vents could be tied. I don't know.

The W/C's are gravity tank-floor mount.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X