Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moen, pressure Balance & low flow shower head

I haven't run across this before, guess I'm just lucky? lol
    Customer has a regular moen pressure balance shower valve. She had a very high flow shower head, all was working great. She wanted a new water saving shower head, because it was earth day! I said great and screwed on the low flow shower head, one of the new 1.5 jobers. The valve didn't work correctly, the water even on all the way hot wouldn't get hot enough. I know it has something to do with the PB valve but why? I put the old one back on, good hot water again.

Re: Moen, pressure Balance & low flow shower head

The Moen valve needs a slight adjustment. Here's the tool I use.

MOEN STRIKES AGAIN !
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

I think that it is back pressure from the shower head. It only allows 1.5 gpm the valve is trying to give 2.5gpm. So pressure is pushing back on the balancer. It isn't mixing right!

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
        I think that it is back pressure from the shower head. It only allows 1.5 gpm the valve is trying to give 2.5gpm. So pressure is pushing back on the balancer. It isn't mixing right!

I figured it was something like that. With all the new 1.5 gpm shower heads going in I think we will see more problems like this. Thanks!

Comment

When in doubt REAM it out ...LOL

Dave

one of these Days I am Going to feed TWO Reamed out heads with a Roman Tub Valve Supplied by 3/4" from a 120 gallon Commercial Heater ...

( of course the water will be re-used for Irrigation :-)

Comment

Did you check the safety stop to see if it could be set higher?

Comment

I just took a nice long HOT shower. Two showerheads and four body sprays all with the restrictors removed. Why anyone would want anything less from a shower is beyond me.
              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

I have had this problem on an older kohler two handle. Replaced stems seats the works and thru in the low flow head. Pipes went to banging the first time i turned it on. The valve was made before the requirement of 2 gpm. And the back pressure created by the reduced flow in turn caused what sounded like air/water hammer. Took out water saver.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine
                  Why anyone would want anything less from a shower is beyond me.
                  Erm . . . because clean water is not an endless resource?

Comment

Amen Bro!

Comment

I love Moen faucets. Thanks to changing crappy Moen cartridges I can afford a new bass boat.
                      sigpic

Comment

First, every brand breaks, leaks, or has some nuance we have to learn in my experience.

Second, every warranted brand, except Moen, has made it increasingly difficult to get them to honor their warranty or even find the parts for their product.

Much like many others, I've had to hunt down Kohler, American Standard, Price Pfister, Delta (easiest, but also leakiest), Gerber, Danze, Grohe, etc. etc. etc. and......Moen.

Moen is the only company that I have dealt with that has honored warranty leaks for me with zero resistance. Your experience may differ. I call them, am polite, tell them the problem, and have literally had the parts on my doorstep or in my mailbox in 2 days. With ZERO CHARGE for shipping or parts. On many occasions. I don't lie or make up anything. Just tell them who I am and what's going on.

Last Moen shower valve I worked on was leaking. I called Moen and told the person I needed a cartridge and just mentioned that the handle was shaky. The service person on the phone elected to send me a new handle, the mount for it, and the cartridge. I told them whatever they thought was fair.

Received all parts in a couple of days. No charge for parts or shipping.

I'm aware of some of the frustrating things that can be associated with Moen's designs.

I'm also aware of some of the frustrating things associated with other manufacturers designs and poor customer service.

If there were a master distributor/supply house that carried Moen's full line then I would be the most inclined to recommend them compared to what others offer for the longterm.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                        X