X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet bowl leaking down?

I had a call the other day, toilet was running...so I changed the fill valve and flapper.....also augured the bowl at the persons request..the line was ok, but she wanted me to do it anyway......every thing went well, so I left.

get a call 3 hrs later, she says the toilet was doing the same thing (huh). she said the bowl was leaking down slowly in a period of around 2 hrs..

when I was there and changed the fill valve, the only thing I saw was that the old fill valve was not filling the bowl back up as the tank was filling. She didn't make it clear about the bowl slowly leaking down the first time.

So i guess i'm going back and start some other diag. It doesn't seem like a venting problem as i'm thinking that would happen right away. I know about the wicking effect that a string can have on a bowl...I'm almost thinking that the trap has a small crack in it.......but at this point, i'm not 100% on anything........

anyone got any input?
    Last edited by Flowofmoney; 04-25-2009, 08:51 AM.
    sigpic

Re: Toilet bowl leaking down?

of course fixing the flapper and ballcock now no longer mask the bowl leakage. i take it the tank level is holding perfectly.

so the real question is, did the bowl always leak and the water level drop?

sounds like a crack in the trap weir.

if you only had the new ridgid micro drain you could push this camera into the toilet and inspect for damage.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Tiolet bowl leaking down?

How long has the water loss been going on? How old is the toilet? It seems odd to develop a crack in the weir.
      Has somebody else augured recently.
      Since she asked for auguring she may know that something is in there that should not be.

Comment

You replaced the fill valve? fill valves, when they leak usually fill the tank, not depleat it. The water will go down the overflow (part of the flush valve) and ghost flush the bowl. The bowl will as if it is low on water (low water spot).

The flush valve has a seal that is below the flapper that can also leak. It will also ghost flush the bowl. Also check that the sealing rim (flap to flush valve) is free of chips, crystalized bowl cleaner, etc..

You can use red food coloring to check for leaks. With the tank full of water, I let just a small amount of food coloring out around the seal between the flush valve and tank. Give is some time and see if the coloring is entering the bowl.

As far as cracks go, sometimes that happens. I use spray penetrant with a developer to check for outside cracks if all else fails, and the toilet is expensive. Internal cracks can be very hard to see, and if all of the above fails, you might have one. You can make a case for toilet replacement if all of the above gives you no answer.

Hope some of this helps.

Comment

Those old Kohlers were great for leaking - they used to use a porcelain patch on the bottom of the trap inside the base, then they switched to silicone. That augering is a great way to pop out the silicone patch.

Also, there can be a crack or even a baffle completely broken out inside the trap. A lot of newer toilets have a visible trap, but older ones are hidden. Chances are if you pull the toilet and turn it over you'll find a crack and a wet floor. If the floor isn't wet, it's internal.

Other possibility is a washing machine or sump pulling the trap.

Comment

If its a cheap toilet just replace it and call it a day.

Comment

This is interesting. I did the exact same thing to a toilet the other day. replaced fill valve, flapper, and handle. Got a call back saying it is still leaking down(tank). Did the red coloring trick yap, there it came into the bowl. Sanded down the flush valve and tried another flapper still a very slow leak. Did not think it would leak from flush valve gasket without showing up outside the tank. Would you replace toilet since it is about 16 to 18 yrs. old?
              Last edited by plumbertim1975; 04-24-2009, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Put some dye in the bowl and check outside clean out had same problem on a mansfield 30 years old. How old is the house and check for vents if accessable. Most likely replace comode. And dont forget to get your parts back out!

Comment

To kinda reply to everyone, She didn't mention to me the bowl was leaking down while i was there...just said the tank keep filling all the time...there are no problems with the tank at all, none. the house is about 6 yrs old, so I'm thinking the drainage system is ok......going back next week. will post whats up the and thanks..
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X