irrigation causing check valve chatter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irrigation causing check valve chatter

big problem. im working at a home with a large irrigation system. when the system turns on or switches zones, it causes the swing check on the cold feed to the water heater to chatter very loudly. the heater has a check valve because there is a hot water recirculation loop. if i close the ball valve to the tank the irrigation works quietly. would a ball check with a hammer arrestor and an expansion tank help. there is no exp tank after the check valve now but i will ad one to prevent the relief from popping anyway. any ideas would be helpful thanks.

Re: irrigation causing check valve chatter

swap the swing check for a spring check...
    sigpic
    www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Will a spring type check work on a recirculation pump?
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

springs in a 3/4" spring check are only about 1 pound or so, not alot of resistance to overcome even with a cheap circ pump.
        sigpic
        www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

Doesn't the irrigation system have a r.p. device installed? That should prevent fluctuations upstream.
          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
            Doesn't the irrigation system have a r.p. device installed? That should prevent fluctuations upstream.
            If that were the case, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by stan'pipe joe View Post
              big problem. im working at a home with a large irrigation system. when the system turns on or switches zones, it causes the swing check on the cold feed to the water heater to chatter very loudly. the heater has a check valve because there is a hot water recirculation loop. if i close the ball valve to the tank the irrigation works quietly. would a ball check with a hammer arrestor and an expansion tank help. there is no exp tank after the check valve now but i will ad one to prevent the relief from popping anyway. any ideas would be helpful thanks.
              In my area a swing or spring check is not an approved backflow device for irrigation.

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
                In my area a swing or spring check is not an approved backflow device for irrigation.
                No one has implied that it is to my knowledge. The check mentioned is in the HW system, not the irrigation system. The comment about the BFD is that this should not be occurring if a working BFD is in place as required by code.
                "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  No one has implied that it is to my knowledge. The check mentioned is in the HW system, not the irrigation system. The comment about the BFD is that this should not be occurring if a working BFD is in place as required by code.
                  Right. Sorry, I just woke up. I'd go with the spring check.
                  Last edited by stokefire7; 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

thanks guys. but there is an approved bfp outside of the home for the irrigation. I believe that the rush of water to empty sprinkler lines may create a vaccum pulling the check valve. the check valve that is rapping is for the recirc for the water heater. I think will go with a spring loaded check for sure with a hammer arrestor. even if the bfp on the outside works properly hammer is still possible in the home

Comment

Silly question- Is the swing check installed on the vertical or the horizontal?

Comment

I will assume up north yall dont use a separate meter for irrigation purposes??was the yard service sized for the irrigation system as well??

Comment

Originally posted by stan'pipe joe View Post
                          thanks guys. but there is an approved bfp outside of the home for the irrigation. I believe that the rush of water to empty sprinkler lines may create a vaccum pulling the check valve. the check valve that is rapping is for the recirc for the water heater. I think will go with a spring loaded check for sure with a hammer arrestor. even if the bfp on the outside works properly hammer is still possible in the home
                          The back pressure from the irrigation system should bleed out of the BFP. It should not allow hammer from the sprinklers. A vacuum is possible... I think that means you need a bigger main to the irrigation to provide enough volume and pressure so as to not need to draw from the house.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                            The back pressure from the irrigation system should bleed out of the BFP. It should not allow hammer from the sprinklers. A vacuum is possible... I think that means you need a bigger main to the irrigation to provide enough volume and pressure so as to not need to draw from the house.
                            Assuming we are talking an R.P., explain to me how it will bleed out back pressure- assuming the assy is working properly.

Comment

The ones I have seen have check valves and then a way for water to come out of the valve so pressure doesnt back up.

A reduced pressure (RP) backflow prevention device is a device used to protect the potable water supply from contaminated water. An RP valve consists of an automatic pressure relief valve in between two check valves. The pressure relief valve opens to the atmosphere in the event of a reduction in the pressure differential between the first two chambers of the device.
                              Last edited by EasyEman; 04-28-2009, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X