X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cost effective hot water making

a good friend of mine asked me and I am not 100% sure, in everyones opinion what is the best way to heat water for a family of 4, 3 bath home, or options are electirc water heater or indirect such as a boilermate. If electric what size would you recommend, one bathroom has a kohler airbubling tub.

Re: cost effective hot water making

In Florida at least where it IS HOT and Humid 90% of the time and Since You are Going to get Bleed to death by your Air conditioner anyway ...

Install a Heat Recovery System .... Along With a 65 Gallon electric ...

Dave

Comment

right now they have a tankless coil, I am just trying to figure between indirect vs. electric water heater, i think i will upsize and go with a 80 gallon, i think electric may be more efficeint because in the summer boiler can go off

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        right now they have a tankless coil, I am just trying to figure between indirect vs. electric water heater, i think i will upsize and go with a 80 gallon, i think electric may be more efficeint because in the summer boiler can go off
        What is the recovery on the 80 gallon electric? I like the recovery on my indirect unit, so I can do laundry, run the dishwasher, take back to back showers, etc. and never have to worry about running out.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          What is the recovery on the 80 gallon electric? I like the recovery on my indirect unit, so I can do laundry, run the dishwasher, take back to back showers, etc. and never have to worry about running out.
          Indirects are the best water heaters out there imo (for those that have a good hydronic heating system). Do you have a superstor stainless with lifetime warranty? They are AWESOME. Tie it right into the boiler system.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

How'd we get to florida? Anyhoo, testing proves that an indirect is the most efficient and cost effective way to make hot water up here in the north.
            sigpic

Comment

Generally, it's best to use a indirect fired heater whenever possible. Especially when there is a large tub to fill. If the boiler is very old and inefficient then that's an issue as well.

If you are considering replacing with a gas or electric, read this sizing guide:

http://www.plumbingshowrooms.com/med...r%20Sizing.pdf

Comment

Initial cost outlay is an ssue as well, as you guys know the cost for an indirect install is 2 times that of an electrc heater, and wth an old boiler, (1984) that is already being taxed as is I am not sure that the indrect s the best choice right now, i will have to sleep on it

Comment

can solar pre-heating be a possible option?

Vince
                  Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 04-27-2009, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Compost Heating.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Indirects are the best water heaters out there imo (for those that have a good hydronic heating system). Do you have a superstor stainless with lifetime warranty? They are AWESOME. Tie it right into the boiler system.
                      I've got an Energy Kinetics EK1 with their 80 gallon tank, which is fed right off a plate exchanger from the boiler water. Like I said, I like that I've never run out of hot water. The cost is somewhat secondary to the effectiveness, cheap hot water isn't very useful if you don't get enough of it. Electricity and propane still are more expensive than oil, so at least I'm ahead for now.

Comment

Working...
                      X