X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply line burst

In 15 years ive seen only 2 of these braided steel lines burst one was a dishwasher line and then this faucet line today. I guess they do work good, anyone see alot of them fail? Maybe down here in S Florida the weather only changes about 20 degrees through the year that could be why.
    Attached Files
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Supply line burst

Looks like the damn dog ate it.

Was it under a kitchen sink>?
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Under lav, it went at night flooded the house it was on the second floor. of course so messed up house pretty bad

Comment

I seen numerous ones blow out the crimped end, but I haven't seen one like that.

Comment

hard to see the photo

but typically in the middle of the line, it's chemicals, chlorine based cleaners that attack the stainless braids.

are there dark, black and brown spots on the braids?

the crimped ends i see leak are on the 3/4'' water heater flexes we use here for seismic movement.

of course i never use the ones with plastic barbs.

had a hot one yesterday.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            hard to see the photo

but typically in the middle of the line, it's chemicals, chlorine based cleaners that attack the stainless braids.

are there dark, black and brown spots on the braids?

the crimped ends i see leak are on the 3/4'' water heater flexes we use here for seismic movement.

of course i never use the ones with plastic barbs.

had a hot one yesterday.

rick.
            Yes it did have dots on it, u mean from cleaning under the sink they may have gotten cleaner on it?

Comment

Do you ever see failed pex or poly supply lines. The only ones that we see around here fail from freezing(rarely) or someone using a brass ferrule on a poly supply tube. After some years later, the ferrule cuts through the tube and causes a big problem for the poor home owner.

Why use the stainless braided supplies? They cost more, look bad and are subject to failure.

Comment

I have switched to the braided lines almost exclusively, and though I've never seen one fail like that, I have seen them in very poor shape from whoever installed or just plain wrecked them - kinks, bends, twists, etc.

One thing I like about the Fluidmasters is that they are very stiff and don't twist like some when being connected. I've had to make service calls just to straighten one out that was installed by the homeowner.

I have seen the 3/8" SS nut split in the middle of the night - another case where it's good to have a "feel" for the job and knowledge of how tight a rubber seal has to be.

Although I used both PB and PEX tubes for years, I've never seen them fail or blow out. Properly tightened with the delrin ferrule they should work fine.

Comment

Nothing looks as good or as professional as chromed copper supply tubes installed using a proper tubing bender. Never seen one burst either.
                  http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/456-Tri-Bender/EN/index.htm
                  http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/57E7171..._Bender_3C.jpg
                  Last edited by shock1964; 04-29-2009, 02:06 AM.

Comment

shock , i agree , i have never seen a chrome supply tube split, but if one does not back flare the end of the tubing when the washer dry rots its just as bad.

Comment

I agree with shock, but for aesthetics, they look horrible after a few short years, the gasket can leak and also at the compression ferrule which is always it seems, with the green residue all over the nut.

I've tried the benders as in new construction we always had to run stainless steel risers like at Kahns Meats anywhere a device used water.

Sometimes my supply lines are 3-5" from the angle stop, might be angled at a weird angle and I don't really want to spend that time by trial and error bending up tubes.

I normally do a 360 loop so the connections aren't strained into position and the rest goes without a hitch.

7 years, haven't had one flex ss line break. I buy good ones, fluidmaster but I wish they wouldn't of spread the webbing of that stainless out further.

Here's a compliment to Kohler; those built in ss supply feeds for their faucets? Indestructable from how tight the weave is.

There for a short while I used Duraflo for price savings but I didn't like the thin rubber gasket for sealing to the supply valve. Kinda ignorant IMO.

I haven't seen a better connection than a Watts or Fluidmaster in regards to ss supply lines.

Stay away from those ss lines they sell at Lowes that are not Watts brand. Their crimps are questionable.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've seen braided SS hoses used in pneumatic lines fail over time. Usually it occurs when they are bent sharply. This creates an area where the hose is stretched on the outside of the bend. Temperature, pressure, vibration are all concentrated int his area and it fails first. Doesn't matter if its water service or air or some other process fluid.

Treat them like washing machine hoses and replace them couple years. This is much cheaper than cleaning up a flooded home.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Used traditional metal, flex braided, & PEX type.

PEX type-less expensive, no leaks, and last the longest (average so far from what I've seen). Why wouldn't you use this?

If someone has seen problems with PEX I will stop using them but I have never seen one installed correctly give any problems.

Come to think of it, I've seen the most failures from braided lines. Typically at the 3/8" swivel end.

J.C.

Comment

I will be starting a NEW thread on this very subject LOL :-(

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X