X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete quick cut saws

Who has there own concrete quick cut saw or do you pay a man to cut the concrete.
    And the next question to those that have one are they hard to use and have you had any close calls.

Simon

Re: Concrete quick cut saws

Rick owns his own so he can give you his feelings on owning one. I use to just rent them when I needed them or hire out for the larger jobs. They are fairly straight forward to use but blade selection is important and you don't want to force the blade. The slower you go the longer your very expensive blade will last.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I have a quick cut saw that I use to cut ductile iron pipe wth and sometimes concrete. I hate cutting concrete myself but will do small jobs, all I can say is use a diamond blade (pretty expensive mine was $300 for a good one) and water to keep the dust down, have your helper run the shop vac to keep the soup sucked up. As utah said above easy does it on the blade, after you run it you can get the feel for it. Besure to keep the blade straight in the kerf so as not to wear out the sides or bind it.

The diamond blades are less dangerous that the abrasive blades, but there is a huge cost difference going in.

For the larger jobs rent a floor machine or just hire it done, there are three or four outfits around here that specialize in cutting and coring concrete.

G3

Comment

the high speed saws i own are both 14'' and 12'' along with a 14'' concrete cutting chain saw.

all are 2 stroke and require a 40-50 to 1 fuel mix.

make sure to drain the fuel and burn off the excess in the carb. always use fresh fuel.

the saws are great for floors and walls. even cutting pipe it's great. the 14'' will cut 5'' deep. just enough for 4'' steel pipe.

with the proper blades, they will cut anything. that's why the fire dept. uses them.

i have mine with a built in water feed. keeps the blade cool and the dust down. just enough water to let if wash out the slurry.

multiple passes are better than 1 deep pass.

i also have a cart that allows the saw to track perfectly with 2 wheels. anything over 20' i use my walk behind saw. but that is a 300# machine compared to a 25# saw.

it's not only a way to save on concrete cutting cost, but it allows you to cut as you go. i can cut enough concrete to expose the pipe and then cut more if needed. i only cut the bare minimum as i also patch the concrete 75% of the time.

with a concrete cutting company, it gets expensive and time consuming to have them come back.

it use to be the blades were as expensive as the saw. but now a decent 14'' blade is $150. and cheap ones are under $50.

also fresh concrete and asphalt require a different blade than cured concrete. so you need to have more than 1 blade.

so buy 1 or more and you'll find plenty of uses for them.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

a poor mans method, if your floor is not much over 4" one can use a diamond blade on a "skil type" saw, (I would suggest to use a older unit that you do not care for much, as the dust is hard on them),

but if you can get over half way through the floor one can use a electric jack hammer to bust up the center concrete, and still have nice straight edges and a clean cut.

they make a modified 7" grinder that will hold a 12" blade (runs slower than a 7" grinder), and a base, that will do a lot of work, dewalt has two models, the D28754 12" and the D28755 14". I would guess others make a similar units but I do not know who,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

At work we use the Stihl 12" model. Easy to use. When making long cuts, use a string drawn tight and spray paint over the string. Also, making several shalow cuts is easier on you and the blade. If you ever have to cut pipe underwater, let the blade come to full speed and then lightly cut the pipe. If you press to hard the belt will just slip. The stihl is so easy to use that you can cut with one hand.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Most rental shops offer walk behind concrete/asphalt cutter machines
              ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                a poor mans method, if your floor is not much over 4" one can use a diamond blade on a "skil type" saw, (I would suggest to use a older unit that you do not care for much, as the dust is hard on them),

but if you can get over half way through the floor one can use a electric jack hammer to bust up the center concrete, and still have nice straight edges and a clean cut.

they make a modified 7" grinder that will hold a 12" blade (runs slower than a 7" grinder), and a base, that will do a lot of work, dewalt has two models, the D28754 12" and the D28755 14". I would guess others make a similar units but I do not know who,
                i too use my worm drive skil saw with water and it's been great. i wd40 the saw so that the slurry will wash off easy.

this has done hundreds of feet and has not let me down.

i also have a bosch 14'' electric cut off saw. basically a grinder with an adjustable base.

thought it would be great for indoors, but i can't get it to not trip a 20 amp breaker. the skil saw works much better and is 1/4 of the price.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I own a Stihl TS350 super that's been very reliable, even though I rarely use it.

Funny how your friends gravitate to wanting to borrow your tools when there's rental yards all over town, offering the same for cheap.

I tell them to break the concrete up with their bare hands; you're not using my tools.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                  X