X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack Town, arctic style!!

last summer a local company installed a new sewer service for a customer.

i know that between the two that own the company they don't have a plumbing ticket. they do have a ticket, but it's not in plumbing.

i noticed that when it was installed that there was way too much grade on the sewer service pipe.

why was this allowed? i was told that it was because the HO had just built his deck and didn't want it removed to install the sewer service.

this is what happens when government inspection systems fail. you have a couple of hacks performing work that should be left to the pro's. you have a government guy inspecting something that he has no clue about. and they're all standing around stratching their heads wondering what happened.

the "grey" coloured water is a mix of grey water and pee. me thinks the poo has been filtered out by the snow and under the house.

Re: Hack Town, arctic style!!

Here comes the debate

Can you really have to much slope on a sewer pipe?

I say no

Comment

opps.

Vince
      Attached Files

Comment

now i can only go by what i've been taught and what our practices are up here.

1/4"/ft max after the WC.

up here, if there's more than that the poop says behind and freezes in the pipe. then the next one comes along and the poop dam starts to build until full sewer service blockage has occured.

Vince

Comment

I can't speak for an arctic environment so you win

I have always been taught that if anything more slope makes the pipe capable of moving more DFU (to a point) and that water outrunning a turd ect is a wives tail.

Down here (non arctic) I have seen 3"-4" per foot and had zero problems with it for as long as I can remember.

I have seen some even crazier slopes in old CI pipe (80-100 year old buildings).

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            Here comes the debate

Can you really have to much slope on a sewer pipe?

I say no

I have been asking that for a while. The codes here say 1/4" per foot minimum. So what is the maximum? Too much slope leaves the solids behind but at what point I don't know.

I guess they figure nobody does more than the minimum so why bother.

Comment

If it was really an issue I think the code books would list a max slope

Comment

OK, we know that 1/4" per foot is OK, and we know that vertical is ok. What about 45º?? Is there really some point above or below 45º that the poop starts to hit the fan, so to speak???

Comment

A great many years ago, when I was living in Bonner's Ferry, Idaho, I had to clean the house sewer from a lawyer's house on a hill. It was quite steep - nearly 45 degrees. It plugged all the time. Worst part was dragging the machine halfway down the hill to the second cleanout.

Comment

I was taught to step down a slope with 45's. Does it matter? IDk

And leave my wive's tail outta this!

Comment

Let's approach this problem with logic. If there were such a thing as too much pitch or maximum allowed pitch, than a vertical stack ( 100% pitch ) would not be allowed, nor would say 45 degree offsets in a vertical stack. As far as I know (and I spent a lot of time looking, other than for Vince) there has never been a code or regulation covering maximum allowable pitch. Again if there was, then places like San Francisco would have to dig down 75 feet or so before they could run horizontal.
                      sigpic

Comment

Similar to the last post....I know in Toronto near my street there is a street that has 100 year old houses at least 40-50 feet ABOVE the road. Do you think the sewer stack runs down 50 feet then horizonatlly to the road?

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Let's approach this problem with logic. If there were such a thing as too much pitch or maximum allowed pitch, than a vertical stack ( 100% pitch ) would not be allowed, nor would say 45 degree offsets in a vertical stack. As far as I know (and I spent a lot of time looking, other than for Vince) there has never been a code or regulation covering maximum allowable pitch. Again if there was, then places like San Francisco would have to dig down 75 feet or so before they could run horizontal.
                          that's a pretty cool approach to your thinking there NH.

i never thought of it that way.

maybe this is why our practices up here are dictated by the climate conditions as your's are.

my dad lives in british columbia on the side of a mountain. i always wondered about the slope. hhhmmmmm........

this seems to be one of those things that's in the grey area. it really depends on your geographical location.

up here, if we don't maintain the 1/4" per foot drop MAX, the poop freezes in the pipe. the water runs faster than the,..........you know, stuff.

a drip will cause a sewer service freeze up up here.

Vince

Comment

Working...
                          X