X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swine flu and your safety

We as Plumbers deal with multiple customers a day (hopefully)...

What do you do to prevent the spread of infections / diseasse/ fecal matter on a day to day basis?

-Do you keep rubber or latex gloves on the truck and use them on every job ( working toilets or drains)?
    - Hand sanitizer?
    -Lysol spray tools
    - Are your shots current ( HEP A-B, TB, Tetnus)?
    - Healthy living?

When do we put the masks on?

Kinda weird really, Normal flu kills 200,000-500,000 people per year world wide.... 150 people in Mexico die from a new strain of flu ( every year we have a new strain of flu by the way) and the sky is falling???

I'm begining to feel like we have a bit of a shell game attempting to redirect our attention away from the world economy at the moment...

The swine flu is just not as big a deal as they are making it. Why make such a big deal out of an annual completly normal event.

Your thoughts?

Re: Swine flu and your safety

Always ware rubber gloves and I have hand sanitizer in van and use that after every call. I agree the swine flu is just to devert from the economy. Its just a flu if you get it in the U.S just take the antibotics and u will be fine just like regular flu it will affect and has better shot at killing elderly and young people.
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

we don't have any swines up here. but if we did, the bacon would probably be as tough as an old dried out saddle.

i'm only speaking as a person that has been very lucky to have walked away from two very serious illnesses without any brain damage. although, i will be the first to admit that that might not be a correct diagnosis.

we need the little bugs to survive as a spieces. especially the little poo bugs.

Vince

Comment

I'm not worried.

There's more tricycle deaths in the world than swine flue...I'll take my chances and your bacon, if you don't want it.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM............... ..........................

BACON..........and ribs.....and tenderloin.......and......it's all delicious.

Like Dunbar, I will accept your bacon donations.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses of bacon/other pork products yearning to breathe free in my frying pan/barbecue/grill...........
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I think we get bored very quickly so... They have to make everything big and sensational.
            It would get any attention if they told you the truth that only 8 people have been killed by the virus according to the world health organization.

Comment

I just got back from eating dinner at some dive bar. There was a table of grown men and women eating while wearing surgical masks

They would pull their masks down to take a bite of burger. I guess they didn't know they had a far better chance of getting salmonella poisoning from that under cooked meat.

Mass hysteria...

Comment

the sky is falling???
                AFAIK there is no cure for swine flu.

Tricycle accidents don't multiply exponentially.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  AFAIK there is no cure for swine flu.

Tricycle accidents don't multiply exponentially.
                  There is no cure for any flu....

I agree tricycle accidents don't multiply exponentially but until this bug kills more than 200,000 (low estimate of folks killed yearly by typical flu)

In bad years they name the annual flu, 1968 Hong Kong Flu killed 2 million

Consider it cleaning up the gene pool

To quote the bard...

"Much adue about nothing"

Comment

...but until this bug kills more than 200,000 ...
                    So you are saying we (the health organizations) should take no action until it gets further along?

That's kinda like waitng for 7 people to be killed at an intersection before putting up a a stoplight isn't it?

4096 <-- we're getting close to here now

Doesn't take long to pass 4 million did it?
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

The Spanish flu pandemic in 1918 killed 20-40 million!

Comment

OkieBill talks of protecting yourself when working, but really the concern should also include any public area.

I have always wondered why public restrooms don't have two-way swinging doors. Forcing people to open a door by having to operate the latch/doorknob means everyone going in and out must touch the handle. If there was ever a place where threats such as this could be passed this is it. Any airport, stadium, shopping mall, etc is a problem. How about the handrail on escalators in these places? How often do you think they get sanitized?
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

I've been spending all morning making tinfoil hats...........
                          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            So you are saying we (the health organizations) should take no action until it gets further along?

That's kinda like waitng for 7 people to be killed at an intersection before putting up a a stoplight isn't it?

4096 <-- we're getting close to here now

Doesn't take long to pass 4 million did it?

I agree that it is easy to pass.... BUT what is being passed is not dangerous and that is the point.

What actions are the World health orginizations taking? Travel warnings?? telling drug companies to make a flu shot that will not be ready for 2 months ( A little late by your math).

I for one Thank the WHO for letting me know not to travel to Mexico

I refuse to be an alarmist when the evidence from all fronts says not to.

Comment

Getting the flu is not a death sentence for the vast majority of us. The death to case ratio is very small.
                              All you do when you report all the new cases is instill fear. When they scare you they control you.

(Imagine if they did that with heart attacks or cancer.)

Now they are going to tell you how many people died because they could not afford treatment. Then they'll pass universal health care. Even though The President said he did not want big government.
                              Last edited by EasyEman; 04-30-2009, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X