X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concrete anchors

I have a job coming up that will require hanging 160ft of 4" pvc under a slab floor. My question is does anyone (maybe hilti or ect.)make an anchor for a powder activated gun that will shoot an attachment point for 3/8" allthread.All of my experience has been in small town usa. so I dont see some of the things out there that are available.Also, what kind of luck have yall had with these types of mounting.I am going to be in a wet enviroment so hammerdrilling really isnt an option.Any thoughts men??
    Last edited by JW3; 04-29-2009, 08:57 PM. Reason: adding a thought

Re: concrete anchors

Hilti makes one for 1/4" and I think 3/8" also but not sure. I've used the 1/4" to hang 1/2 and 3/4" water pipe. I would never trust 4" PVC sewer on a powder activated anchor. When that sewer stops up that pipe will weigh several tons. It only takes a few seconds to drill and set a drop-in anchor with the right tool. If it's that wet of an area you can rent a pneumatic hammer drill.

Comment

thanks for the response.yes it is very wet underneath,and shi$$y as well.because of this i was trying to limit exposure to my equipment (and me and my men). this is a sanitary repipe under a restaurant so #1down time is at a minimum and #2 trying to drap cords or hoses is much undesirable. although it may be the best option.

Comment

Read this:
        http://www.us.hilti.com/data/techlib...te_(53-55).pdf

IF you set the anchor properly and IF you tension(torque) to the required value w/o exceeding it and your maximum anticipated load will not exceed the allowable load you might want to use them. As PC said much easier to use drop-ins and they have a higher load capacity so greater load margin.

In many states you have to have a license to use a powder-actuated tool. OSHA requires you to have training before using such a tool which you can get from the manufacturer or their local rep. Don't get the training and someone gets hurt or something falls down you are in deep do-do. I used them once on a job many years ago. They were more trouble than they were worth but the plumbing contractor insisted on using them.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hilti makes two different guns, I have a DX 600N which will shoot 3/8" studs into concrete or steel, and I think rated to 4" steel pipe.

A couple of test shots will need to be made to see what kind of concrete you are shooting into.

I don't use mine very often but it does come in handy.

You might look into "sammy super screws", they make some anchors for concrete but will need a pilot hole. A battery hammer drill for the pilot hole, and a battery drill for the anchor. Then use 3/8" all thread rod for hanger rod studs.

G3

http://www.sammysuperscrew.com/CST.htm check here for sammy's
          Last edited by G3sprinklers; 04-29-2009, 09:57 PM. Reason: add link

Comment

i duno shooting in the ceiling just makes me picture the new tunnel celling collapse in Boston. couldnt you use 3/8ths Concrete bolts like 4 inches long to mount struts and then hang off threded rod? you can spred the load more and also break it up so that your not down there all day like one day snap your lines and drill your holes, next day hang the struts and rods, next day do your pipe.?

Comment

I used to have the Hilti 600.Single shot.

Now I use the DX 460 F-10.Stip magazines.
              F-10 being 10 mil. necessary to shoot 3/8" pins.

Not all jurisdictions allow powder actuated pins.
              I'd call first.Most jobs we use drop ins.Like the last one

Also,with the drop in anchors.Our beloved engineers are starting to thing the standard drop in anchors are penetrating the concrete too much.They are starting to spec "peanut" sized drop ins and a pull test.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Also,with the drop in anchors.Our beloved engineers are starting to thing the standard drop in anchors are penetrating the concrete too much.They are starting to spec "peanut" sized drop ins and a pull test.
                oh im sure i just mentiond 4" bolts as an example it would depend on how thick the slab is.

Comment

for years we shot high velocity guns. they are banned now and i still have several thousand 22 cal. #8 brown loads for them these guns were considered dangerous as they basically worked like a real gun. they could easily shoot a stud or nail like a bullet

the required low velocity guns are safer and don't splatter the concrete near as much as the high velocity guns.

i too use the hilti 600. a very heavy gun and a bit slower to load, but a very reliable gun.

depending on the quality of the concrete you're shooting into, i would not have an issue with the strength of the 3/8'' threaded stud. that's all i ever shoot. vibration is an enemy of shot inserts.

the real issue is the constant moisture you're referring to. is the concrete wet all the time?

if so, you might need to consider stainless drop ins and stainless rod.

all very $$$.

i trust a 3/8'' threaded insert much more, but a properly shot insert is very strong and safe and less work.

both work, but inserts are a better system
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Also,with the drop in anchors.Our beloved engineers are starting to think the standard drop in anchors are penetrating the concrete too much.They are starting to spec "peanut" sized drop ins and a pull test.
                    I used those short drop ins once because I was drilling into a post tension slab. Didn't need any engineer to instill the fear of god in me on that job. However, if you don't set them just right they'll pull out. A pull test would be scary. Definitely a pita of a learning curve involved with them.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      for years we shot high velocity guns. they are banned now and i still have several thousand 22 cal. #8 brown loads for them these guns were considered dangerous as they basically worked like a real gun. they could easily shoot a stud or nail like a bullet

the required low velocity guns are safer and don't splatter the concrete near as much as the high velocity guns.

i too use the hilti 600. a very heavy gun and a bit slower to load, but a very reliable gun.

depending on the quality of the concrete you're shooting into, i would not have an issue with the strength of the 3/8'' threaded stud. that's all i ever shoot. vibration is an enemy of shot inserts.

the real issue is the constant moisture you're referring to. is the concrete wet all the time?

if so, you might need to consider stainless drop ins and stainless rod.

all very $$$.

i trust a 3/8'' threaded insert much more, but a properly shot insert is very strong and safe and less work.

both work, but inserts are a better system

he i still have a .22 and a .32 cal HVGand a few boxes of Black shots AND a few boxes of hardend slugs....remember thoes

Comment

Can anyone tell me when I'm looking at the bottom of a slab if it's 2000# or 5000# concrete???

...yea...that's what I thought

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Hilti makes one for 1/4" and I think 3/8" also but not sure. I've used the 1/4" to hang 1/2 and 3/4" water pipe. I would never trust 4" PVC sewer on a powder activated anchor. When that sewer stops up that pipe will weigh several tons. It only takes a few seconds to drill and set a drop-in anchor with the right tool. If it's that wet of an area you can rent a pneumatic hammer drill.
                          It would weigh less than half a ton.

Comment

AHH man there no way that I know of to tell after its cured and been there for a while (without a lab that is) I'd like to think it's 5000 since its a floor/celling application but then id be guessing. maybe city hall or building dept. might know.

Comment

For 3/8" rod, I'd use drill-in anchors. The red-head type will hold a lot of weight.

I use the ones from Hilti -

The tighter you screw in the rod, the tighter they get.

Comment

Working...
                              X