License does not exist, etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License does not exist, etc

Looking at my local 1cent saver. I decided to run the license # on the CSLB website. Out of 20 plumber/drain cleaning ads, 3 do not exist, 1 is expired and 3 companies ads are using the same license #. Amazing!

I personally don't mind being in competition with those who play by the rules, in fact I think it's healthy for the industry, but I get kinda ticked off when I see this stuff.

Re: License does not exist, etc

I see the same thing happen every time the new phone books come out. Some idiot always has a full page ad with a phony license number. One so called plumber in my area has been running the same ad for years now. The problem is he had his license revoked a couple years ago. It pisses me off, but no one I talk to seems to care out here.

Comment

you're preaching to the choir.

i've been complaining about this for years on end.

what ever happened to a full blown apprenticeship program?

when you actually went to a sanctioned apprenticeship school for 4-5 years?

the cslb and inspectors need to step up to the plate and crack down on all the phonies. in the medical field you go to jail impersonating a doctor.

you might not all feel this way, but we as plumbers are just as important and responsible for protecting the health of the nation. sure a plugged up toilet doesn't require a master plumber to fix, knowing the codes and right from wrong is not something a kid off the streets can accomplish.

plumbing is more that just turd chasing

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It is like tat here in Tennessee also, I have even called the licensing board to complain (and yes I had done my homework on the non-licensed trash) and they just kind of blew me off, saying to just fill out a form and pretty much hung up on me.

Went to the town hall where they had pulled a permit and it was a different name than what was listed under the license number, and the building inspector was just bragging on them, go figure. I brought this to his attention that things were not correct and he just said well they must have something worked out.

I'm sure most states have a web site that you can look up license numbers to see if they are valid or not. Seems to me it would be easy money for the state to go after these jokers.

G3

Comment

It's kind of a Catch-22. You turn the non-licensed into the state board for practicing without a license, they can't do anything because the board can only impose penalties on those who are licensed.
          Until he does something that injures someone, costs a ton of $$ or involves a politician, he can operate at will. I'm guessing that most code enforcement officials probably don't check the lic. no. on the application.

Comment

In Arizona they can come after you for advertising with out license. I have never heard of it happening though.

Comment

Originally posted by tchads View Post
              It's kind of a Catch-22. You turn the non-licensed into the state board for practicing without a license, they can't do anything because the board can only impose penalties on those who are licensed.

The state used to send out a news letter every few months showing the actions taken and they were imposing fines for the non-licensed, to the tune of about $500, big deal..............I'v got more than that tied up every year in my license. To be a sprinkler conractor I have to have a fire sprinkler license, RME license, and a contractors license.

Now whether or not the state ever collected on these fines is another story, but as you stated above if you are licensed they can revolk them in a heart beat. Everything has to be brought up in front of the licensing board which only meets four times a year.
              It is nothing more than a political circus, I would say the states are happy to get money from the licensed (we just volunteer to send it in) rather than have to get off of their lard @ss to go after the law breaker (that would require some kind of effort, maybe even some kind of thinking)

G3

Comment

i'll let joey tell her story about 2 unlicensed guys that were busted at her work.

all she really needs to do is find here original post from last year.

joey, help me out

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...=trash+freeway
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

This is what happens with right to work states, compliance is much easier to enforce when each individual must be licensed.

Our inspectors are on top of it and they go to bat for us, just takes a phone call, specially now with things a bit slow.

If we see an add without a ccb# just takes a phone call, same thing if we find a bogus #
                    sigpic
                    www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

i wonder what would happen if nobody paid for their licenses?

it's even worst up here.

the bill of sale is the only paperwork you need around here. it truly amazes me that nobody has gotten killed (knock on driftwood).

when i ws the fire chief up here for a bit we got a call to a house. we could smell smoke but couldn't see where it ws coming from at first. i just happened to be looking at the oil fired HWH/HWT when i saw a puff of smoke come from the floor. The asbestos plate under the tank was in two pieces (that's the way it was installed). one of the legs for the tank just happened to rest right on the crack between the two plates and the additional weight of the water in the tank caused the foot to rest on the floor. things were fine until the burner went run away. it super heated the foot of the tank and ignited the floor.

i know for a fact that the person that maintained that tank isn't licensed and has a very vague consept of reality.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
                        Looking at my local 1cent saver. I decided to run the license # on the CSLB website. Out of 20 plumber/drain cleaning ads, 3 do not exist, 1 is expired and 3 companies ads are using the same license #. Amazing!

I personally don't mind being in competition with those who play by the rules, in fact I think it's healthy for the industry, but I get kinda ticked off when I see this stuff.
                        Good job Jeff ! Can I ask what You have done with this info,beside posting it here?
                        Is this in Ca.? What paper please. We can help,If You don't. Thank You Tool
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

They just did a sting and set up and arrested 15 unlicensed contractors here in Fort Lauderdale 3 where plumbers. They do that every couple of years to scare people but thats about it. I have written letters to the State, County, and cities about unlicensed activity and they do nothing at all. Im thinking of going to a state contractors meeting when and if it comes to my city and complain. I feel if you are unlicensed and do work sooner or later it will bite u in the ***.
                          You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

Here the State League of Master Plumbers aggressively pursues unlicensed operators and shows no mercy.
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Illinois is a sham as well. I have called about handymen advertising plumbing...the answer I always get is "we have to see them doing the plumbing." Well, they are ADVERTISING without a license. Thats against the code, its in the book.

Also, sumps are in the code book, but any unlicensed plumber can put them in.

Until someone gets sick, burned or sued...will nothing be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X