Clear All

• My early morning wake up call

actually it woke up joey too

6:31 am sunday morning.

being a listed plumber on the association board has it's drawbacks

so i had the owner email me the photo

makes you want to go back to bed

who would install a heater with gal, imported nipples and fittings

i would rather tackle this monday as i have a feeling they will need a new heater. electric heaters are not that plentiful out here on a sunday. the selection is not as good as the supply house.

this is installed on the 3rd. floor and the smitty pan is not piped. the building was built in the early 70's when all electric homes/ ''medallion" were being pushed by the electric company.

the owners are off on a 10k run right now and will call back later. i had them turn it off and keep the tub open for the time being.

so lets hope they can take a cold shower today and i'll fix it tomorrow

rick.

Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-03-2009, 09:56 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: My early morning wake up call

Could someone tell me again what a water heater strap is spose'd to do?

Comment

My local supply house will open for me on the weekends or after hours. It is another way they provide excellent cusotmer service, to help me provide excellent customer service.

I love the strap job, so many customers tell me that they have straps,......when I get there, they have them, but htey are not even close to being done right!

Good luck with that one. I bet you can make it pretty. After pictures would be cool. Looks like a complete re-do to me
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

I'd help you out if i could Rick.

when you say imported, from where?

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Could someone tell me again what a water heater strap is spose'd to do?
          i always get a laugh when i see them inches from the wall.

i tell the customer it's like sitting in your car seat 3'' from the seat and getting hit. sure you won't fly out of the car, but you will get rocked.

if i can't move it close to the wall, i will build a spacer with 2x4 or unistrut to bridge the gap.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
            I'd help you out if i could Rick.

when you say imported, from where?

Vince
            vince, i would take you up on that offer, but you might melt

imported nipples and fittings. usually from asia.

ok for gas, but not for water. as you can see it's from 01. looks like the cold flex is newer than the hot copper flex.

your welcome to come out here for a visit. i'll see if we could find a hockey game to keep you cold

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              My local supply house will open for me on the weekends or after hours. It is another way they provide excellent cusotmer service, to help me provide excellent customer service.

mine will too for a price. it doesn't make sense to do that as it's only for 2 people and the extra cost for a suppy house and me to do it on a sunday doesn't warrant 1 cold shower.
              plus the building has a rec room with hot showers

I love the strap job, so many customers tell me that they have straps,......when I get there, they have them, but htey are not even close to being done right!

the building was built pre strap days. also the heaters sit in a smitty pan piped nowhere. best bet is to install an automatic shut off valve similar to the burstbuster that i wrote about last week.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25034

Good luck with that one. I bet you can make it pretty. After pictures would be cool. Looks like a complete re-do to me
              that's what i hope too. their running a 10 k and will call me again when they get home. monday is always reserved for emergencies. i keep it open til sunday night. if thers's notin emergency, then i do my fill in non emergency calls.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Here's how I'd handle this job if a customer called me on the exact same situation,

"Have the water heater upstairs next the old one ready to go in. This will save you money and if the water heater isn't extremely heavy, we'll attempt to take it down the steps. If we purchase the water heater bring it up the steps, the price will be considerably more."

Most times if not always, the customer jumps on the antics of "saving money" and I don't drop my hemmorrhoids below my nut bag another two inches.

That customer is going to be happy they saved money, when in turn I've protected myself once again from the big bad water heater that's notorious for causing back injuries. If they don't like those potatoes, I toss the call as the physical risk will never justify the charge.

DUNBAR~Keeping body parts protected
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

dunbar, it's just a little 50 gal. with an elevator. no big deal.

sure they can always supply their own heater. i never have an issue with that. but i do charge a haulaway fee if i take it.

i do 75's and 100's by myself. the proper dolly / stairclimber if needed a winch or block and tackle will get the heater where it belongs.

how do you ever take your drum machines upstairs

time for a k-60 for you

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Ahh.....elevator.....my third love in life aside from women and candy.

If it's a GE 50 gal electric...yes, they are supah-light.

When I lift my drain machine it's always leg action, never really my back. I learned a long time ago that the legs can take the majority of the load but the back cannot.

I've built an add-on to my handles that spring loads the handles so I don't have to bend over coming up the steps. Along with the half-inflated tires....it works quite nice.

Funny you mentioned a K-60.....there's like 4 on ebay right now....what gives?
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

My supply house would open for me 24/7 as well but I always explained the price difference for an emergency call and then let the customer decide. I guess the fact that I was the Best Man at the supply house manager's Wedding didn't hurt.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Is the strap because u are in Cali and earthquakes?. Maybe dumb question but never seen one before of course im from Florida and dont have to deal that kind of bs.
                        You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

rick soon you will have Ben there to do all your grunt lifting for you
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Is Ben moving to Cali?
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                              Is Ben moving to Cali?
                              Not until next month.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X