Cast iron to PVC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron to PVC

What is the easiest way to connect PVC to a cast iron hub when the hub is flush with a basement floor? I want to replace the stack with PVC without having to break up the basement floor in order to eliminate a cast Y that is two inches above the hub. Am I better off leaving a stub and using a band coupling or cleaning out the stub and repacking?

i had to do something similar not long ago. what i did and would recommend is to use pvc and pack it with okum as standard. instead of lead, get a bucket of quickrete (i believe it is called water stop), and use it in lieu of lead. works very well
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I would go with a No-hub band over repacking it
      Just my 2 cents

Comment

The best way to transition is #1- use a ty-seal gasket and cut a short piece of cast. After inserting the cast iron into the hub, #2-use the correct transition coupling to change from cast to pvc. Proflex makes a solid stainless steel band (similiar to a no-hub band) that actually has (The rubber part) one side thicker than the other. The thicker side for cast and the thinner side for pvc. Because the rubber makes up for the difference in pipe diameters the band will not crink up when you tighten it like the clamp all's do.

Comment

Working...
        X