X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Utilities Plumbing. Fair???

Don't know if this should be in the Open Discussion but I'm more interested in the plumbers' perspective.

I just received a flyer from my electric utility company that states for $4.95 a month they will:

1) Replace your gas or electric water heater for no charge. (up to $850.00 maximum per calendar year-water heater can be included up to $850.00 total)

2) Replace a broken or defective thermostat for no charge.

3) Replace a burned out heating element for no charge.

4) Replace a pressure relief valve for no charge.

There are limitations such as no tankless, nothing over 50 gallons, lowboys etc.

Are some of you other plumbers seeing this? Is this unfair competition? Should I sign up?

J.C.

Re: Public Utilities Plumbing. Fair???

My electric co-op doesn't go this far. They will maintain your electric water heater at no charge if you let them install a peak switch. Have great deals on new heaters and installation.

Comment

There was a time almost 40-years ago where our local gas company was doing service work but were forced out by the Government because it was found to be unfair competition to local Contractors.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

My electric company is selling insurance for my water service and sewer line.

If the sewer was really deep it might be worth the $100 a year

Comment

Our Gas companys around here , offer Gas [ house and service line ] , water- service ,and building sewer insurance , for about $ 10.00 a month
          Last edited by RHplumbing; 05-11-2009, 06:38 PM. Reason: Typing mistake

Comment

I think the problem is that they are hiding under the "label" of insurance and if pressed in court I think it could be reasonably considered to be:

Contracting Without a License.

J.C.

Comment

For most of my customers , the gas service line replacement insurance is a good deal ,

Comment

Originally posted by RHplumbing View Post
                For most of my customers , the gas service line replacement insurance is a good deal ,
                Here in Nunya, the utilities own up to their meter and are the only ones allowed to correct gas service lines anyway.

J.C.

Comment

In western pa and eastern ohio the plumbers install the service lines from the crub stop to the meter , we have to get dot certified , and drug tested just the same as the gas comp emplyees , and go to school once a year , it has been this way in this area for as long as i can remember

Comment

Can you get a new water heater every year? Or does something have to be wrong with the old one?
                    Why would the electric co. replace gas water heaters?

Sounds like Cheating to me!

Comment

I think it is ridiculous that a public utility is able to infringe on the business of local plumbing and heating contractors. The gas utility tried this in my area not too long ago, however it did not last long at all. They tried to sell service contracts to perform routine upkeep (etc.) on gas water heaters, furnaces, boilers, etc. Poor worksmanship eventually led this company to quit offering these service contracts. What really irritated me is that they can advertise these services in their monthly billings, an incredible advantage considering these bills go out monthly to nearly every home within the community regardless. To a homeowner that knows little or nothing about the mechanical systems in their home these contracts with the utility company sound like a no-brainer. However, the straw that broke the camels back in my area happened when the city inspector agreed to let them to change out a water heater without any plumbing license (let alone any experience). Having been in a few of the homes where they had already done an install, there is no way that they should have ever been allowed to touch a plumbing system anywhere. Needless to say the inspector got an earful from several local contractors.

I apologize about my rant.....obviously it was a sore subject. lol. Short answer version= I think it is bs.

Comment

When I was growing up in the 50's, the I remember that my parents rented the water heater from the utility. If it went bad, they had someone there within the hour to replace it. Now, over the normal lifespan of the unit, I am sure they paid a bundle. But the peace of mind for them to not have to worry about it....priceless, as they say! I don't remember how long that went on. I think at some point they had to buy a WH

Comment

Here the oil companies sell you a service contract for ~$300 a year. Worth every penny when you wake up, have no heat, the house is 55 and they show up in 30 minutes and it doesn't cost you another penny.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            I think the problem is that they are hiding under the "label" of insurance and if pressed in court I think it could be reasonably considered to be:

Contracting Without a License.

J.C.
                            How do you know they don't have a license to perform this work?
                            Call them and inquire, or have you already done so?
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              How do you know they don't have a license to perform this work?
                              Call them and inquire, or have you already done so?
                              If I understand the literature correctly, they simply sub-contract the work to plumbers. (Lowest bidders, like Lowes or Home Depot).

Plus they don't list any numbers on any part of the information which is required by our state.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X