Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And you call this, Plumbing?

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    What I think is there was a hydrant cleaning one day, or a fire in the neighborhood, and no one was home.

Given there is a PRV on that main line, The water pressure climbed significantly in the house to extreme pressures *like 300 pounds* and given the fact that the T&P didn't open, the tank basically started expanding big time, even through the water lines in the house since CPVC allows for that given the nature of the piping. The PRV acted like a check valve and captured the pressure and wouldn't let it return to the main line...

and possibly the heater fired and did a maintenance cycle either while the property owner was gone/at work or this all unfolded while they was asleep. Who knows.

But the pressure built to extreme pressures and the only reason it didn't explode is the flue chase tieing it all together up top in the center. Gotta remember these tanks aren't thick in steel either. So envision an alumimum can in a freezer. You get the picture.

I've come across this more than once in my day, and that's most likely the scenario that unfolded. It couldn't really be anything else since we all know that water heater didn't come with those connections at the top of the heater bent inward. It would of never been used/installed.

My beef is that water line install that I see too much in new homes where this stuff is so cheap and what do you expect when the labor is cheap, the material is cheap, the idea is to slam it in and go to the next.

And then I come in as the cleanup machine making a killing off of all of it. It's good for the bank account, but another bad shiner for the trade as a whole, and it's always going to be this way given the way we install and provide these things as the finished product and our names are stamped all over it.

Can't knock the homeowner that can easily, easily put up a better job than this.
    Ahh didnt think of that. scary stuff no doubt. i duno over in these parts you hardly rver see CPVC water lines only copper here. hell here pex is new fangled

Comment

It also looks like thats about 18" of pvc coming off of the hot side of the w/h coupled to cpvc.
      The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
        It also looks like thats about 18" of pvc coming off of the hot side of the w/h coupled to cpvc.
        Good eye Rick.

Looks like Crestline. And I don't think they make CPVC.

J.C.

Comment

A repair no doubt

Comment

and the glue joint at the w/h doesn't look like it should be holding anything, at least they used primer I did plenty of Flowgaurd Gold in the past, but that was years ago, back in the Qest days.
            The Other Rick

Comment

I found the two responsible for all this

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Why did they change the heater?

J.C.

Because the top was all bulged out from being over pressurised.the flue connecting the top and bottom of the tank make the inlet & Outlet go cockeyed when that happens...

It probably saw close to 300 Psi.

T & P valves are supposed to trip at 150 Psi.
                Last edited by Redwood; 05-16-2009, 04:31 PM.
                411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Welcome aboard Redwood! Bout damn time!

Comment

So how did I do on the intro?
                    411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

300 PSI on CPVC.

Now who's afraid of CPVC???

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post

Great!

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        300 PSI on CPVC.

Now who's afraid of CPVC???

J.C.

I don't know if I mentioned this on this job but I asked this woman to leave the faucets open till they quit spitting air. For some reason, she turned them off.

10 minutes later I go to double check the faucets to purge the air out and I bet there was at least 200 pounds of air pressure building inside those lines.

So I had to once again in a more authoritative voice that we have to open up all the faucets in the house till there's no air in the lines.

Very dangerous since CPVC will allow the ability to build up more than ridgid copper piping. Like one big balloon.

I even make sure they purge the washing machine along with dishwasher so they don't get scared the next time they go to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
                          HOLA REDWOOD

Comment

I would think that, with repeated firings and a failed expansion tank, the heater would expand a little each time until it reached the condition you found it in, Dunbar.

The PRV would keep the water from backing into the city system. The PRV doesn't even have to be failed - all it takes is a failed expansion tank.

I have lived in places were PRVs were necessary, but luckily we don't need 'em here. Too flat here in the valley. Pocatello, ID is a different story - lots of hills.

Comment

That's what I was trying to determine.....that when a PRV fails, does it still operate as a check valve?

I checked from the sillcoc.k before the PRV and at the hose bibb directly above, and the pressure matched and they was over 75psi which is the range limit for the PRV.

Actually, they'll go a little higher but not much.

The bolt wasn't even cranked in; looked like the PRV was still set at the initial 50psi factory setting.

At one time, I had the luxury of giving ultimatums that they "have" to install/bring that system up to code in order for me to install it. What changes all that thinking on this job is all the piping I'd have to rework just to do it right, make it a decent repair.

Another plumber mentioned to me once about how they throw in Expansion tanks on all their water heaters no matter what the pressure, no matter if there is a PRV or not. IF there is a closed system on a home, there must be a Expansion tank present. If it is there already, there's no code that covers that

1. I'm obligated to replace it when it is failed/defective

2. I'm obligated to replace a PRV when it has failed

Loopholes for the matters that be and I brought attention to this matter for many reasons and that was just one of them.

If the customer wasn't counting dollars before the sale of this home and this was 'just another install'....

I bet the cost of the heater and install that the customer would of opted for it. The cost to fix everything else along with the cost of the two defective items killed the sale of those add ons.

Comment

Working...
                              X