Tools stolen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tools stolen

The following formula has stopped (for now) the B&Es of our vehicles.
    1)Tufloc Locks- http://www.esmet.com/tufloclocks.html, we have used them for over ten years and they keep the bad guys out of the cargo area of the vans. They have tried to pry open the doors but have been unsuccessful. The shortcomings are that they are expensive, can be tough to install, and will freeze when wet and cold (easily thawed), but they have been well worth the trouble. I order ours with the key that stays captured when unlocked so that the doors are always locked.

2) Use a rear window screen that is made from stamped steel. I think National sells it. The wire ones are too easily bent after the rear window is quietly removed. Better yet, don't have rear windows. And side cargo compartment windows are a definite no-no!

3) Have a security screen between the cargo area and the driver's compartment. Both for the safety of load shifting and to keep them out of the cargo area if they get into the driver's compartment. With the Tufloc locks the driver's compartment becomes the weak point, so do not keep valuables there. I do not like screening the driver's compartment windows because it would be imposssible to get out if there was an emergency.

4)) Have your mechanic or alarm guy wire a plain toggle switch into the fuel pump line. The idea is that if they get into the drivers area and jump the ignition, the engine will crank but not start. Sooner or later they will realize that it wont start, but will have wasted time trying. Or interupt the battery/starter connection and nothing will happen. Make certain the toggle switch is hidden somewhere not obvious or under the dash board. Time is your friend and their enemy. Another way is to have the fuel pump shut down after minute or less so that if they get the vehicle out onto a road it shuts down and won't restart. Use a steering wheel lock also. It slows them down.

5) Don't think the alarm will stop the vehicle or tools from being stolen. For the most part strangers do not react to alarms and they shut down after 2-minutes any way. Even if you hear it,while working in a basement or on the tenth floor of a high rise, most of the time it is set off by loud traffic, thunder or other non threatening causes and you can't get to it very quickly.

6) Heavily tint the windows. What they don't see they don't want. BUT, sometimes they will break in just because they have watched and seen it is a tradesman's truck. Try not to load and unload where traffic can see the inside of your truck. Definitely do not leave the doors open any longer than necessary. I even try to use my body to block the view of cars passing by or parked behind while loading or unloading.

7) Just because you or I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching. If they see you load a machine or camera on the truck it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they will follow the truck until someone goes into a store for a Coke, and break in while you are inside the store. We had that happen some years ago. Lost a $ 1,500.00 machine but gained a two foot pipe wrench that they used to break the window.Cut down on non-service call stops at fast food restaurants, Big Box stores, party stores, even supply houses. They do drive around with battery powered sawzalls. There was (is?) a rash of thefts of catalitic converters being stolen in daylight from cars in parking lots. Slide under the car, cut off the converter,slide out and leave. The same can be done to steering column and brake locks.

All of the above was learned by experience. Have a nice day!
    Last edited by APHCO; 05-15-2009, 10:30 PM. Reason: add content

Comment

Damn, sorry to hear tool.

I gots plenty of black iron nipples and caps if you ever need it.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Thanks for the tuflock link

Check these out for the front of the van

http://www.amazon.com/Lawman-Unbreak.../dp/B0007ZAJQS

http://www.amazon.com/Lawman-The-UNB...2451221&sr=1-2

Comment

never had a van broken into, our shop is near a ambulance station and they can easily see the vans, door to my shop and dumpster so it cuts down on alot of bs with theft of tools and people throwing garbage in the dumpster, had a co-worker leave a van unlocked one night with a hilti te-72 in plain sight i almost took it and then asked him to bring it in for another guy the next morning just to scare him, but just yelled at him instead.
          "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

I'll admit when I started reading this thread I thought, "California.. No wonder." But, I see it's a common problem everywhere including where I live. Nothing makes me madder than a thief. The mad part is they steal, the sad part is how stupid some of them are! Going back to the job site to sell the tools? Sad that they will exchange thousands of dollars worth of valuable tools for mere pennies on the dollar. Along with your rotary hammer, right angle drill, hand tools that you paid a forturne for are the specialty. Those specialty are almost completely useless outside this trade. Dump a K60 in front of an old framer or roofer and ask him how much he'll give you for it. He might not even know what it does! There are several flea markets in the area along with pawn shops. There's been a lot of trouble with tools being sold way to cheap because they were stolen. Sheriff's department keeps close watch on those pawn shops. Checking out the tufflock. Like the 12ga...Dan, thank God these idiots didn't kill someone while you were chasing them! It wouldn't have been your fault in my book, but someone would get a lawyer and go after whoever had insurance, money, and was a responsible human being. Would that be the guys that stole your saw? Noooooo.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              Next time get the license #, pick up you phone and call the cops. Or pick up your phone and take a picture.
              I did! However the plates did not come back to the vehicle that the guy was driving. And the sheriffs where I live take a long time to respond. They took all most twenty minutes for any one to even respond. See I don't live in town I live out in the country. It took them the two miles to get back into town and lose me. When it got dangerous for other people and myself to continue that's when I backed off. When your in the heat of the moment and you catch some one steeling your things right in front of you are you just going to sit there and watch it happen? They might as well slapped you upside the head and spit in your face. They have no respect for property or other people they just want their meth money. What really made me mad was they did it with my wife and son home right there in front of me. If they are brave enough to do that, who is to say they won't try to go into my house when we are home or out back to my shop and steel more tools.
              Last edited by DanLawrence; 05-20-2009, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Here is a problem: about ten years ago a plumber came out of a supply house, found someone in his truck stealing tools, etc. The plumber pulled out his pistol and shot the bad guy. We all might say "hooray". Unfortuantely it cost the the plumber about $ 25,000 to stay out of jail for homicide.

If someone is stealing or has stolen your tools there is very little you can do to stop him (her, or them). Unless they put your life in jeapordy, you can not attack them, legally. If you do, in many states you could be locked up for assault, manslaughter, murder or all three. And worse, you probably won't get your tools back.

Its best to spend the money on locks, alarms, etc. rather than playing vigilante, and having to pay an attorney to stay out of jail.

Comment

Its best to spend the money on locks, alarms, etc. rather than playing vigilante, and having to pay an attorney to stay out of jail.[/quote]

That is a good point! I have learned that taking the steps to prevent theft from happening goes a long way. Since I installed motion lights, put locks on my garage and shop, car alarms on my vehicles and had a security system installed in my home. I have yet to have any further problems.

Comment

I was at HD and saw this scumy looking guy in an old mini van with broken out side windows, roll up to a new ford Excursion bop out and instantly was in the drivers door! Wow I thought he had some master door key! Imagine 70 people around and nobodys see's that this guy don't fit being in the new Ford. I get out my camera and start snapping pictures, van,lic. plate,guy, guy in ford,guy with dewalt radio,guy with air compressor. You get the deal, he see's me, gets scared and starts to leave but he knows I have him on film! He circles back gives me some excuse about feeding his kids ( he meant habit)
                    I said put it all back now or you are goin to jail, he put it all back and left. I normally would call the police but was haing job troubles with time and didn't have 2 hours to do paperwork. The owner then came out, thanked me and drove off. I can't believe how many people where all over and none noticed this guy. I don't park in the back anymore because of this.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                      . I can't believe how many people where all over and none noticed this guy. I don't park in the back anymore because of this.
                      That makes my point about alarms. Even if the van would have had an alarm nobody would have done anything as there is not really anything that the public can legally do. You did enough to stop the theft without getting hurt. That was a good day for all concerned.

Comment

kkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                        Last edited by plumbworker; 05-22-2009, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X