X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backflow Certified

Any u guys backflow certified? Is it worth it? I get a couple of calls a month for it, so i thinking of getting certified in Florida. Thanks Paul
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Re: Backflow Certified

I was at one time and let it run out, will be going back in Sept. to re-certify. Does not cost anything for the training but it is a three day training session. Since I already have the test kit, which is not cheap, I figured I would put it back to good use. When ever we install a new backflow it has to be tested and the papers sent in to the state. Since almost all of the fire sprinkler systems have a backflow I just test them when I do my yearly inspections.

Around here testing a 4, 6, or 8 inch backflow on a fire sprinkler system is $75 per device, not bad money considering it only takes about 15 minutes to run a test.

G3

Comment

I got certified a few years ago. 4 day class plus $500.00 plus testing equipement. I got certified mainly because I was having to tell existing customers to call someone else because I didn't test, and I hated that.

I've since picked up testing for a couple of school districts and some other places. Kinda nice as I can go spend the day testing for each district.

I would say it's worth it. Gets you in places, and sometimes leads to other work.

Comment

It's all relative to location of course, but $75 would be giving it away here.
        In these woods, $100-125 is more like it and that would be on the low side.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

In this area, you would not do a test at those rates, $40 to $45, It was a $500 dollar 40 hr class plus equipment plus the state gets $70 every 2 years plus the $80 every 2 years to re-cert.

I do them because each new customer I get with a test is a customer for my real job.
          sigpic
          www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

I got mine 3 years ago. It's led into some real nice work.

Comment

I got mine 18-years ago and it gave me a lot of work I would not have otherwise had.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I got mine in February, it was a little over $500 bucks, and a full week sitting in a classroom. If you have the choice take the ABPA class, my understanding is that they go over case studies toxicology things like that. The ASSE class I took was miserable, we did a week of powepoint, flash cards, and industry videos from the 80's. if I'd taken the test on the second day i'd have passed it.

anyway, around here it's about $90 to test a backflow, and I haven't been licensed long enough yet to have drummed up tons of work for it.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I've had mine since 1998 and have had only 1 call to test one. Just one and that 'one' was trying to beat me down below $75 because their main guy was on vacation.

I went after that license solely for the knowledge base, for which I soon hope it is a requirement for any licensed plumbing contractor to understand, have the background to know that all positive flow systems have the potential for backflow.

I know enough plumbers online at this point to prove that the education is warranted, as they hold credentials that signify they shouldn't be doubting well known case histories that have statistical data.

See what I mean Vern?
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Absolutely! I've gotten more extra work through backflow testing/repairing than I can handle some days. Plus I beleive that it will eventually become mandatory for plumbers to learn as water treatment and designs get more evolved and elaborate.

Comment

Working...
                    X