Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another customer that just doesn't get it!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another customer that just doesn't get it!!!

I received a call from a general contractor that I used to do work for last Thursday. He told me that he had a kitchen hook-up job that he needed done but that it was about 40 minutes away from me. The red flags immediatly popped up in my head that it was TOO FAR, but he was in a bind so I agreed to do it this Wednesday after he called the customer back and told her my rate and that I would obviously charge travel time. I arrived at the house and looked at the job(double sink, disposal, Instant hot water, dishwasher, and faucet). All of it was owner supplied and I repeated to her my rate and that it SHOULD take about 4 hrs. She agreed and I started to work. When I tryed to install her no name(SIR) faucet, I noticed that the granite guys messed up the hole and it wouldn't fit. I called the G.C. and he said the soonest the granite guy could come would be first thing in the morning. I told him there would be another trip charge obviously. I return the next day, hook everything up and get back home around 7 pm. At 7:15 my phone rings and it's the customer's area code....uh oh!!!! She tells me that there is water dripping in her brabd new cabinet, on her brand new carpet also. I start heading her way......an extreme storm rolls in, I actually had to stop driving for awhile, I couldn't see and there were many accidents on the road. I get there awhile later only to find the quick connect o-rings on her cheapo faucet leaking, both the plastic adapter o-ring AND the BOTH quick connect o-rings. I show her, and tell her that it isn't covered by me since she bought it. I put some thread sealant on the o-rings, re-install it all and tell her I can't guarantee that it won't leak again. She said she understands. I ssnet the bill out yesterday, with all the extra travel time, it came out to $753.THe G.C spoke to her yesterday, she mentioned something about not paying for my work last night......what success have all of you had with mechanics liens??????? Thanks.

Re: Another customer that just doesn't get it!!!

If customer gives cheap stuff to install I write on my invoice before i leave that I will not be responable for manufactor defect. If you dont let them know and put it in writing then they have a point.
    You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

I am not responsible for customer supplied faucets.
      I will guarantee that they were installed properly and that is all.

If they decide to have me supply them then I will give 1 year guarantee full!
      411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I have a simple policy that avoids all these problems....its called C.ash O.n D.elivery!
        Unless it is an established commercial client, every customer agrees to our price upfront and pays upon completion. We collect payment before leaving the jobsite. I spend far less time chasing money that way. (almost none)
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I am COD or half down if a larger job.

Many times people will forget how grateful they were when you came out for an emergency. Or, how much that time is worth.

Comment

I agree with C.O.D

When they are not available with cash or check I take credit card over the phone which I run before doing the work.

If they don't agree to C.O.D, they don't really need me.

Or I should say, I don't really need them.

Comment

Almost always customer supplied stuff leads to install or warranty issues.
              I always discuss this up front and discourage customers from supplying anything that does not come from a plumbing wholesale showroom. Sometimes **** just happens and billing can spiral out of control trying to make it work.

Comment

You Know the Drill :

Customer supplied = Turn on Faucet Last

Contractor Supplied = Turn Faucet on First

ROFLMFAO !!!

Comment

As far as the lein, somewhere in the $1500 range, and you would only collect if the property is sold, and the bank or morgage holder gets their money first, and then any lein holder that was in line before you, and the lawyer fees can not be recoverd in a lein, have to renew it on a yearly basis to keep it active. On residential job you loose, on commercial jobs you might have a chance.

I just got paid on a project that was in in the $9000 range and the lawyer advised me to see what I actually had in the project and try to settle with the contractor or just sue him directly. I'm not the sue happy kind of person and really dislike lawyers, just waited it out for almost three months and got paid last week in full. I was very thankful for that.

Good luck with it and I hope you get paid.

G3

Comment

I believe that was the name of it.....it looks and feels just as heavy duty as a Grohe or Rohl.......but they obviously skimped on the important little parts that prevent leaks.........she bought it on ebay. I am 95% sure that was the name on the box...but don't quote me...that was close to a year ago.

Comment

Did you get your problem resolved

Comment

I only stand behind my labor..never anything the customer bought.

Here in Pa, if the customer wants to play the "I'm not paying" game, we start with letters, and of course they normally ignore them.

Then we send a certified letter, and 9 times out of 10 they finally get the hint. But if they still ignore it, it's no sweat..we get the Constable involved, and now more fees are added on.

If they don't show up for their court date..no big deal..the constable will be there to collect something at their home.

The last time we did this the lady almost lost her vehicle.

Comment

Before we even talk about liens; you've got to actually have her refuse to pay. Also, if she gets a notice for small claims court, she may realize you're not just going to go away. I say that because we're not talking about thousands of $$ you've tried to collect for months. I always let the customer know upfront(many times on the phone before I get there), that I will only guarantee my labor on material or fixtures they provide. The Glacier Bay returned faucet you bought at the Depot for $7 ? Sure, I'll put it in. If it drips 3 days later, it's the customer's problem. Which is why most of us shy from installing ultra-cheap junk. People think they're going to save bypassing you as the supplier. Also, isn't it great how almost every job can be over-simplified? You're a plumber, it's just a faucet, what's the problem? Hole's too small... Make it bigger!! It's granite; it's the stone guy's baby.. If I **** it up, I own it; no thanks! Don't give up on her, give her a few chances before you go the lien route.

Comment

I can't stand when a customer says "it's a small job" or "It's an easy job".

If that's the case, then why did they call me?

Comment

Hey Redwood it's been a long time, miss you! I agree with you 100%%!

Comment

Working...
                              X