X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you?

Would you install a water heater knowing the PRV is faulty and the pressure is more than double or triple of what it should be? Let's say the customer doesn't want to replace the PRV, would you still replace the water heater? This really isn't a mechanical question but more of an ethics question, would you?
    I wouldn't do it until the customer had me or someone else fix the pressure first. I know a licensed plumber though that just did it anyway. Opinions?

Re: Would you?

HeHeHe....I know the back story to this one....
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

why are you trying to fight him so hard let it go bro!

Comment

Is the pressure over 150lbs psi? If it is over 150 then no ...but if it is not then yes letting him know that he will have problems.

Comment

It's not a fight I'm looking for. Maybe I was wrong in my thinking, maybe not. I'm just looking for other opinions in a different forum but I see there are still some that would rather not be honest vs getting on the bad side of the one responsible and liable for the job.

The water pressure destroyed the old tank, bent the nipples from the tank expanding. It could have killed someone, the t&p didn't blow. Then a plumber goes in and replaces the tank but still has the same water pressure problem, knows about it yet still does the job? But it's ok since it now has a new t&p?

I stand behind my opinion, it's dangerous and it's puting the customer in danger. Would you do it? I would not. I'm not looking to fight, just trying to understand the thought process in doing what was done. I was told I was wrong and that it's ok to install the new tank with the extreme high pressure as long as it's written on his invoice with a no guarantee? Sorry folks but I would never do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
            Would you install a water heater knowing the PRV is faulty and the pressure is more than double or triple of what it should be? Let's say the customer doesn't want to replace the PRV, would you still replace the water heater? This really isn't a mechanical question but more of an ethics question, would you?
            I wouldn't do it until the customer had me or someone else fix the pressure first. I know a licensed plumber though that just did it anyway. Opinions?

Hey I know that licensed plumber too! Your intentions are well paved my friend.

I'll answer this question since you like to play on different playgrounds.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25545

Since you're special I'll say it again:

I was contracted to replace a water heater, nothing else. I "tried" to sell a PRV and EXP tank replacement and the customer refused because I was going to replace all that plastic piping you so believe in. Cannot install that expansion tank back in the way it was. It's going in between the shutoff and top of the water heater. Then, it will be properly supported to the joists above where the panning runs across.

The water heater gets inspected next week there will be a green tag for PASS with mention of the fiasco it connects to and no legal obligation to fix someone elses screwup. Keep reading as I own you at this point with your short attention span to read my every word.

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post

Ahh it's always fun when sand gets thrown out of the sandbox. Bad thing is I'm going to #1 and #2 in the sand "just because" I arrived at that job at 5pm that day, the interpreter wouldn't run and get me parts to replace this heater so I couldn't start till 6pm. When I gave them a price of almost $800 to do all this rework and told them I'd be there till midnight, that killed the opportunity. Still, the price difference of what I charged was less. Not much, but less.

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
            why are you trying to fight him so hard let it go bro!

You should see how this guy operates on plbg.com. Threads deleted, closed, it's routine.

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
            Is the pressure over 150lbs psi? If it is over 150 then no ...but if it is not then yes letting him know that he will have problems.

When I tested the water pressure at the property, it was 85psi before the PRV and when tested at a front hose bibb, matching 85psi.

This customer is trying to sell her home as she's moving to china and she was nickel and diming every decision regarding this water heater install, and she had great difficulty just replacing the water heater since it didn't leak and was providing hot water.

I even went the extra step and showed her a video about what a defective expansion tank has in it on a tank that has a defective bladder, or is blown.

I couldn't sell the reasoning any better than I did. She's got money...and given it was an urgent call I asessed the problem, tried to get a commitment from the customer by showing the seriousness of the situation and she declined.

That's when I took the proper steps by taking video, still pictures of the situation and documentation to make sure that I've protected myself from the customer retracting statements that I "didn't" fully understand the situation.

Nevermind the dozens of plumbers that don't even carry a pressure gauge around with them and never do this preliminary test to know the full picture, not just a command to perform a work duty.

Anyone else has questions to my reasoning on this, feel free to ask. I cannot inherit the problems of a plumbing system that even code does not imply that I should replace, even though I know and the entire plumbing community knows it should.

Heading back to playground 1.
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-16-2009, 12:26 PM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
              Me to:

Its called DUNBAR is friends with WET HEAD so now the gang is going to pick on him....

Let get real, and all share some love not spread all this hate!

I mean come on folks........
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                Me to:

Its called DUNBAR is friends with WET HEAD so now the gang is going to pick on him....

Let get real, and all share some love not spread all this hate!

I mean come on folks........
                Oh and if you think this not true, then look who made this thread, IRONRANGER.....The guy that says I am not a plumber and has no right to do so!!

Oh and PS: Go ahead try to knock me down again Ironranger....GO for it

I am not the one PUTTING PVC IN A CAST STACK!!

Source:

http://www.plumbingzone.com/f22/cast-iron-stack-3393/

Originally posted by ironranger
                I've ran into this before but can't remember what I used. Need to install a cleanout on a stack in the basement. Stack is cast iron. Going to install pvc cleanout tee and want to use no hub bands, normal install. But.... the cast iron stack is just a tad smaller than 4", 4" no hub bands are just slightly too big. Does Fernco or someone else make a banded coupling to go from 4" pvc to this slightly smaller sized cast iron? The 4" no hub band might work but I'm pretty sure it will crimp and look like crap. The cast iron is about a 1/4" smaller. Any ideas

DUNBAR IS A HACK?
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

I'm confused

Did this start somewhere else and end up here?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    I'm confused

Did this start somewhere else and end up here?
                    YES:

IRONRANGER & PROTECH are trying to spread the PLUMBINGZZONE garbage over herE because absolutely everyone from PZ is sick of that site, so he figures he now can "hit dunbar" at his home base.

Ironranger TELLs me that I am NOT a real plumber even after I worked under a master for 16+ years....

IRONRANGER IS A PLAGUE TO THIS FORUM!

Comment

BTW:

SEE IRONRANGER join date: Join Date: Mar 2009

He just recently joined to attack people.....this thread is a PURE example

Comment

Ahh, wethead chimes in. What's that purple stuff on the pvc? LMAO!!! right wethead?

Regarding plmg.com, there was ONE thread removed and Dunbar was as responsible for it as I was. Since then I might have posted a dozen times, nice try DUCK, I mean Dunbar, I mean Hack!

The pvc cleanout was installed on the 1940's odd ball sized CI because we needed to clean out the sewer that day and they didn't have a clean out! The rest of the CI is being replaced next week, AS I POSTED! Keep digging hackman, you won't find any garbage hack jobs out there by me. You're really digging if you have to use the CI post! hahahahha

Tell everyone why you can't post on the zone anymore wethead, tell them why you have been removed for good.

That's ok, I'm not the only professional plumber on the zone to have problems with the hack, just go read, there is more.
                        Last edited by ironranger; 05-16-2009, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                          BTW:

SEE IRONRANGER join date: Join Date: Mar 2009

He just recently joined to attack people.....this thread is a PURE example

Nice try wethead but anyone can read my posting history, try again. By the way, the reason wethead was removed from the zone is because he is NOT a plumber, it was proven and he was dealt with. Keep talking wethead, this just keeps getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                            Ahh, wethead chimes in. What's that purple stuff on the pvc? LMAO!!! right wethead?

Tell everyone why you can't post on the zone anymore wethead, tell them why you have been removed for good.

I know, I know, I am not a real plumber........just you are , You're the BESTEST

btw , HERE is me with the purple stuff.....

Comment

Oh and IRON RANGER

BE A MAN & POST Your picture.......

Comment

Working...
                              X