X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many trap seal losses are there?

i can only think of six that i will reveal after a couple of replies.

Vince

Re: How many trap seal losses are there?

1. Syphoning action (lack of venting, s-traps etc.)

2. Momentum (loss of trap seal due to water exiting too quickly.)

3. Capillary attraction. (wicking away of water by hair, cloth or other fibers)

4. Evaporation

5. I'm not sure what this is called, but in older traps like bottle traps the partition inside can fail, same with outdated mechanical traps.

That's all I can think of right now, feel free to add to it or correct me if I'm wrong. What interesting plumbing trivia, good job Vince!

Comment

well Vince we do not normally have Seals down here, and most traps they have outlaw,

like the leg iron trap and that type, so if your using a poor trap the seal may escape, then I guess you would call that a trap seal loss, I guess a lot would depend on how good of a trapper you were. it may make a difference if you using bate or a lure well .

but I though you guys just clubbed them instead of trapping them,

below are three seal traps I found on the net, but the loss ratio was not given on seal traps.

well Vince how do you trap your seals? Has any ever got a way, I am guess you have had at lest 6 get away .

OK I will stop jesting with you, tell us about traps that lose there seal, (that would have to be a big P trap even to lose a baby seal)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 05-17-2009, 07:10 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        well Vince we do not normally have Seals down here, and most traps they have outlaw,

like the leg iron trap and that type, so if your using a poor trap the seal may escape, then I guess you would call that a trap seal loss, I guess a lot would depend on how good of a trapper you were. it may make a difference if you using bate or a lure well .

but I though you guys just clubbed them instead of trapping them,

below are three seal traps I found on the net, but the loss ratio was not given on seal traps.

well Vince how do you trap your seals? Has any ever got a way, I am guess you have had at lest 6 get away .

OK I will stop jesting with you, tell us about traps that lose there seal, (that would have to be a big P trap even to lose a baby seal)
        that was frick'in funny.

i just about fell off my chair. good thing it's got arms.

actually now-a-days with the high powered rifle, they don't usally have any head left. sorry to gross people out but that is a fact of life up here. only the head is visible, or to save the bulk of the animal (nutsiq).

in the old days this is how it would have been done.

didn't need a club.

anyways, back to business.

#1 - induced syphonic action

#2 - capillary action

#3 - evaporation

#4 - osillation

#5 - momentom syphonage

#6 - mechanical failure

i think that right. anybody else?

Vince
        Attached Files

Comment

BHD, I must say that was frickin funny! Very creative man keep it up!

Comment

siphonage
            aspiration
            momentum
            oscillation
            evaporation
            capilary action
            backpressure
            - and you can throw leakage in there too.and thats all of them

Comment

Lapidation----from leaving the toilet seat up with a dog in the house

Comment

JAG, good one. forgot about back pressure.

jja, good one! lapidation. all together now, LAPIDATION.

i've been doing some thinking and i think we need to clarify something.

in my neck of the "WOOD" (no woods up here), we don't club seals.

first off, we can't get that close to them.

secondly, we can't get that close to them.

i'm not trying to gross anybody out but the way we hunt seals is with a high powered rifle. usually the only thing you see when hunting a seal up here is the head.

down off the coast of newfoundland and labrador, they do that. but up here we can't,.......because......we can't get,..................well,...........close enough to them. hence the need for a high powered rifle.

i'm not trying to knock the leather industry but if people only knew about the duribility of seal skin, baseball gloves and footballs would be made out of the stuff. sorry if i just raised a couple of eyebrows.

Vince
                Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 05-23-2009, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X