Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extend a Natural gas grill line outside?

Hi-

Looking to move a gas grill line about 10 feet further away from it's existing location outside... (it's about 3 feet from my house - not smart) I was going to dig a small trench to the new spot and bury the pipe, but not sure if I should thread it through PVC so it won't be subject to the elements... is that necessary? What other things should I be concerned about? I've done inside gas line work, but never outside...

A sleeve is not necessary outside but you need to use a pipe with a factory applied coating (It will generally be green in color) and wrap your fittings and any damaged coating with a 10 mil tape. To get the tape to properly adhere you should use a primer which is made for the tape.

Not to confuse you the tape goes on after the pipe is assembled and tested and you're ready to backfill.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

UTAH HAS GOT IT RIGHT.
      ALSO IN ADDITION I WOULD TAPE THE WHOLE PIPE BEFORE I INSTALL IT. IT IS ONLY 10' LONG. THIS WILL ADD 1 MORE LAYER OF PROTECTION. PRETAPE ALL BUT THE LAST COUPLE OF INCHES FOR WRENCHING. THEN INSTALL AND TEST. THEN PRIME AND TAPE. 1''WIDE 10 MILL WORKS BEST ON THE FITTINGS. OVERLAP YOUR TAPE TO PROVIDE 20 MIL. PROTECTION. ALSO TAPE TO AT LEAST 6'' ABOVE THE GROUND.
      THIS IS VERY CHEAP INSURANCE THAT THE PIPE WILL LAST LONGER THAN US, AND I WON'T HAVE TO SAY "I TOLD YOU SO".
      RICK.

Comment

good call with the taping thanks guys for the response... let's hope I don't blow anything up...

Comment

Working...
        X