Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario plumbing code (cheater vents?)

Does anyone know the new rules in the code book (ontario) regarding the cheater vents?

Re: Ontario plumbing code (cheater vents?)

i can't speak for the ontario code but while it hasn't been approved for use in canada, stores are allowed to sell them.

as long as it is installed as close as possible to the trap, accessible, and as high as possible for the fixture it serves (ie; under the counter), you shouldn't have any problems.

if it's installed properly, when the water is discharged or drained from the fixture you should be able to hear it sucking in air.

Vince

of course you have to understand that this is open to interpetation.

Comment

They are legal in Canada, but with restrictions. The main one being the vent must be of the "approved type" ie. Studor AAV, Oatey SureVent, etc.

Section 2.5.9 of the National Plumbing Code of Canada covers this.

Here's the entry from the code book (I love my scanner!)

2.5.9. Air Admittance Valves
      (See A-2.2.10.16.(1) in Appendix A.)

2.5.9.1. Air Admittance Valve as a Vent Terminal

1)
      Individual vents
      may terminate with a connection to an air admittance valve as provided in Articles 2.5.9.2. and 2.5.9.3. (See also Sentence 2.2.10.16.(1).)

2.5.9.2. Air Admittance Valves

1)
      Air admittance valves
      shall only be used to vent
      a)fixtures located in island counters,
      b)fixtures that may be affected by frost closure of the vent due to local climatic conditions,
      c)fixtures in one- and two-family dwellings undergoing renovation, or
      d)installations where connection to a vent may not be practical.

2)
      Air admittance valves shall be located
      a)not less than 100 mm above the horizontal branch drain or fixture drain being vented,
      b)within the maximum developed length permitted for the vent, and
      c)not less than 150 mm above insulation materials.

2.5.9.3. Installation Conditions

1)
      Air admittance valves
      shall not be installed in supply or return air plenums, or in locations where they may be exposed to freezing temperatures.

2)
      Air admittance valves shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer`s installation instructions.

3)
      Air admittance valves shall be rated for the size of vent pipe to which they are connected.

4) Installed
      air admittance valves shall be
      a)accessible, and
      b)located in a space that allows air to enter the valve.

5) Every drainage system shall have one vent that terminates to the outdoors in conformance with Sentence 2.5.6.2.(1).

Comment

Does anyone know if the same rules apply to a residence in Quebec? We just had a house built in Quebec with a nanny suite in the basement, and both the main kitchen and the nanny suite have cheater vents installed. The basement kitchen sink is in a counter that is not quite an island because it is attached on one side (more of a peninsula), but the main kitchen has the sink on an island. Our home inspector told us that this was not to code, but could not produce the code article that applies. Our municipal inspector (MI) could not find the code article in the 1995 code book, and our project manager is deferring to the municipal inspector. Reason we care is that there is an odor coming out of the cheater vent in the nanny suite. Our kids play down there with Grandma, and we want to make sure no one is going to get sick. Plumber came back to change the device, and then came back a second time to add in a section of pipe (a horizontal U) to allow more air space in the pipes. Problem is still persisting. If you have the code article that applies it would be appreciated. Guy from municipality says they use the national plumbing code from 1995, and I am not sure why they wouldn't use the most recent code as I assumed it applied to all of Canada, regardless of municipality. In summary:

1) What code applies in Quebec? Is it the most recent national code, or is it dependent on the region?

2) What is the code, and does it allow for use of these vents given that our MI says it is the 1995 code? The actual article number would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

You are allowed to use them only for renovations in canada as far as i know.I've also heard inspectors passing island sinks with cheater ventsaswell.....this is in alberta

Comment

Originally posted by whallupaz View Post
            they are legal in canada, but with restrictions. The main one being the vent must be of the "approved type" ie. Studor aav, oatey surevent, etc.

Section 2.5.9 of the national plumbing code of canada covers this.

Here's the entry from the code book (i love my scanner!)

2.5.9. air admittance valves
            (see a-2.2.10.16.(1) in appendix a.)

2.5.9.1. Air admittance valve as a vent terminal

1)
            individual vents
            may terminate with a connection to an air admittance valve as provided in articles 2.5.9.2. And 2.5.9.3. (see also sentence 2.2.10.16.(1).)

2.5.9.2. Air admittance valves

1)
            air admittance valves
            shall only be used to vent
            a)fixtures located in island counters,
            b)fixtures that may be affected by frost closure of the vent due to local climatic conditions,
            c)fixtures in one- and two-family dwellings undergoing renovation, or
            d)installations where connection to a vent may not be practical.

2)
            air admittance valves shall be located
            a)not less than 100 mm above the horizontal branch drain or fixture drain being vented,
            b)within the maximum developed length permitted for the vent, and
            c)not less than 150 mm above insulation materials.

2.5.9.3. Installation conditions

1)
            air admittance valves
            shall not be installed in supply or return air plenums, or in locations where they may be exposed to freezing temperatures.

2)
            air admittance valves shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer`s installation instructions.

3)
            air admittance valves shall be rated for the size of vent pipe to which they are connected.

4) installed
            air admittance valves shall be
            a)accessible, and
            b)located in a space that allows air to enter the valve.

5) every drainage system shall have one vent that terminates to the outdoors in conformance with sentence 2.5.6.2.(1).
            hooey, i always make my own ! Cut off bottom of babybottle,reverse the nipple,radiator clamp. Being one of eleven kids and no money, made me the man i am
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Here in The Square State (Ohio) there is a further restriction: AAV's cannot be used where there is an "automatic" or mechanical drain. The two that are most commonly excluded are direct drain clothes washers, and dishwashers. The theory is, I think, that the amount of water discharged could overwhelm the AAV, causing the water in the trap to be drawn down below the weir. Oh, and I believe that ejection pumps are excluded as well.

So, in most cases, we just discharge the clothes washer into a laundry sink. Seems like a dark ages solution, doesn't it? I await your response, brothers and sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by western reserve View Post
                here in the square state (ohio) there is a further restriction: Aav's cannot be used where there is an "automatic" or mechanical drain. The two that are most commonly excluded are direct drain clothes washers, and dishwashers. The theory is, i think, that the amount of water discharged could overwhelm the aav, causing the water in the trap to be drawn down below the weir. Oh, and i believe that ejection pumps are excluded as well.

So, in most cases, we just discharge the clothes washer into a laundry sink. Seems like a dark ages solution, doesn't it? I await your response, brothers and sisters.
                laundry sinks work fine in the past , and today !! Ps k.i.s.s.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                X