X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Gas Locator

Does anyone use a handheld gas monitor to help pinpoint sewer gas leaks? I have a natural gas sniffer, but it isn't sensitive enough. It goes off at 40 percent of LEL. I was wondering if there are more sensitive detectors out there.

Re: Sewer Gas Locator

This is what I use:

Comment

Damn dude trim the effing nose hairs ****!
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
        Does anyone use a handheld gas monitor to help pinpoint sewer gas leaks? I have a natural gas sniffer, but it isn't sensitive enough. It goes off at 40 percent of LEL. I was wondering if there are more sensitive detectors out there.

Here's what I do, and it is done solely to CYA no matter what device I buy, no matter how much money I spend on one, no matter how many times a day (if that was possible) I calibrate the device:

I call the local gas utility every time because that's forward thinking on my part, they are the supplier and they become part of the liable party when they come in with their equipment and find the leaks.

If it is fuzz leaks, with me being there, they'll just tag the shutoff and give instruction. If I'm not there, they'll automatically shut the gas down and write out what needs to be repaired/replaced to correct the issue.

I take anything gas related as a soon to be court case, given the degree of hazard that could instantly pose itself in a court case if something goes BLAMO!!!

And I could see myself in court, defending my tool and the last time it was professionally calibrated/sent off 5 states away and not have one for weeks at a time. You either buy 2 to stop that, or you just don't calibrate it like the majority)

If I'm unsure of a gas rework or repair, I'll white lie and have the customer call the utility company back to use their device and that will give the thumbs up that I've done it right, having not me but the gas company giving a document stating "NO GAS LEAK FOUND".

Since you do commercial work, and might be around a lot of different situations involving numerous smells during inspection, It may or may not be viable for the constant involvement of the gas utility company.

The gas company actually encourages us to call them, always. At least until you call them on a sunday and they've been just sitting down with snacks to watch a nascar race. Bad bad idea.

I almost bought a device, but then I scared myself off thinking about the guarantee I would instill that doesn't hold weight in a court of law. A good lawyer could destroy me and my tools just by the cost of the device, maintenance and the possiblity I just dropped it that day before the house blew up.

Comment

Yeah, but I just need it for sewer gas, not natural gas. No liability there.

Comment

Smoke test if the old nose can't find it.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Smoke testing is the fastest and most effeciant way to find sewer drainand vent issues..

Comment

We use Biosystems Multipro 4 gas meter it does LEL,O2, H2s(sewer gas) and CO. They make a single gas detector for H2s I am sure you can find it on the web.

Comment

Try one of these. They're cheap and work for seeds.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Try one of these. They're cheap and work for seeds.

I used to keep one of those in my truck for company until taco bell changed that forever.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies telling me to use my nose or smoke test. When I can smell the fricking sewer gas, and it's in a drop ceiling with constant air movement, your nose don't help ya. Same with the helpful "smoke it," replies. When the vents are about 100 foot high, and nobody knows what pipes are what, smoke isn't an option either. Sometimes, smoke or your nose ain't gonna cut it. Thanks, Highland. The rest of you guys need to be aware that gas detectors are great, my computer chair has had so many farts pounded into it, it sets off the gas sniffer. My kids get hysterical when I stick the the sniffer in my pants and fart, and it will alarm the sniffer.
                      Last edited by Bogart; 05-23-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X