Old fashioned

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old fashioned

Hospitals got a bad gate and want it changed. It's 8' up and in a bunch of pipe. Boiler operator thinks it'll take an hour I think whatever. Five hours later were cleaning up.

oh yah, 2.5"
    Attached Files

Re: Old fashioned

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
    8' up and in a bunch of pipe. Boiler operator thinks it'll take an hour I

oh yah, 2.5"

He is either GREEN as heck and has no idea OR a very season boiler operator and they have NO BUDGET......

I used to work for a steamfitting company as a help for a few years and they had some super good mechanics and thet couldn't even do that in a hour.

I mean for gawds sake, you need to bring in tools. Shut down the line or even by pass it, then install it, then test it etc,.then paper work....Yea OK , sorry not an hour.....5 hours was right in my book.

Well thats my thoughts.....

Comment

I bet you used more than 2.5" of solder on those joints. 8 feet up = at least one good sized blob of solder landing on your hand/arm/head. I'd charge for five hours even if it took three. I just finished a job running 1 1/4 " copper through a tight crawl space and have a newfound fondness for pex. By the way how did you fit that valve in there, it looks like barely enough room for repair couplings. Did you freeze the line?

Comment

Did you freeze the line? Nope,

Comment

It is only a 5 minute job

Comment

Why not swap valve parts from a new valve and leave the old valve body in place? You would be done in 20 minutes. No BS.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Why not swap valve parts from a new valve and leave the old valve body in place? You would be done in 20 minutes. No BS.
              That's what I was wondering. It's a union bonnet so easy to get apart and swap the guts out and inspect the seat for damage. Now if it is damaged then it will need replacement but there is a good chance the body would be usable.

But then again, if I had a choice of a ball valve over a gate I'd take the ball valve.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Finished the hot side yesterday. (see previous picture, there's a B. V. now)

oh yea, the window fell out.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X