X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weeel isin't This SPECIAL !!!

Tile Bathroom People Living in House (Rental) only one Bath room ...

Comment

What ever you charge will be too little. I would not do the extra $250 but would figure what busting the slab and doing the repair the safe way would have cost then decide what your fee for doing it this way will be.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Why the hell would you do something like that? Occupational health and safety would be all over this and if you do have an accident under there you will have no coverage assuming you get out alive.
        Why would you not just tell them that the slab has to be opened up and either sawcut it or rent a jackhammer and expose it? If it is a rental and there is only 1 bathroom then it is up to the landlord to either put the tenants up in a hotel or make some other alternate arrangements.

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
          Why the hell would you do something like that? Occupational health and safety would be all over this and if you do have an accident under there you will have no coverage assuming you get out alive.
          Why would you not just tell them that the slab has to be opened up and either sawcut it or rent a jackhammer and expose it? If it is a rental and there is only 1 bathroom then it is up to the landlord to either put the tenants up in a hotel or make some other alternate arrangements.
          My guess is that he wanted the job and found a cheaper way to do it....? Though I agree you could not pay me enough to to that job.

Comment

Tunneling is illegal under the UPC but is allowed under the IPC. However, the IPC says something to the effect it must be safely supported. I don't see any support and would not have done the job that way.

On another note there is no way possible to properly backfill that job. I represented a concrete pumper who was hired by a plumber who did that exact same job. When the plumber had him pump slurry into the tunnel for backfill it caused bellies in the pipe and lifted a 40' section of the slab. All my guy did was supply the equipment but the plumbers insurance went BK and my guy was stuck with the bill.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Tunnels are legal and common here. Around $150 per ft. plus extras last I heard.

14 years with new construction, renovation, etc, experience and I've managed to avoid tunnel work thankfully.

I just looked in our code book that reads; "Where earth tunnels are used, adequate supporting structures shall be provided to prevent future settling or caving"

I doubt that everyone here is following that though depending on the soil and width of the tunnel.

I would.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                Yup Under The slab

I keep a Piece of 3/4 Pex Which leads to the outside World Under my Arm Pit ... "Just in Case"
                makes sense until you think about it

breathing through a piece of pex is ok if the dirt wasn't surrounding your belly and your chest.

for fun and safety, try taking that pex and slowly walking into the pool with it. see how deep you can get with your body in the water and still be able to breath.

you will see that at a couple feet under the water, it gets tuff to expand and contract your chest.

how's it done in scuba

the second stage regulator is adjusting the pressure to compensate for the pressure against your body and depth of water.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

In such a narrow tunnel, watch out when you cut that cast iron out. The pipe is heavy, if it falls on your chest in one piece you will have trouble getting it off of you with no place to move. When I cut out 15 feet of 4" cast in a kicthen wall I used chains to old it up, good thing since it was the heavy walled stuff.This job obviously has safety concerns as many have already posted.

Comment

The owner has to put the tenants in a hotel while the slab is cut, pipes replaced, and the floor restored from the problem to the next available depth where the pipe could be installed correctly.

250 is too cheap. That tunnel should cost 5 times more than breaking up the floor. I would have walked if the owner didn't want to do it correctly. I may be broke, but I gots my pride.
                    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

All Good Input ... The $250.00 Is Above The "Normal" Bill I Have 2 Jack , Hammers 3 Concrete Saws and 2 Demolition Hammers ... Using them is way more Stressful than this Job

Rick You have a good point I will try that with the pool ...

The Structural Issue is interesting ... I worked for a modular Building company as their plumber and We supported Buildings on Stackable Pads Made From 2 X 6 Lumber While I Crawled underneath and Built The manifolds ...
                      Never really Thought about it ... The Building then Was Installed On Concrete Pads at least 4' Apart and then only around the Edges ...
                      The Slabs had No footer The walls were 1" Stucco Inside and Outside walls ...

I Do not see a structural Issue for an 18" opening Spanned by a Heavy Footer ... Of course I could Be Wrong ... Only foot Traffic on the Inside and The Concrete is Over 40 Years old and at least 5" Thick

Lots of Different Opinions Here It's All Good

Dave

Comment

Crazy job. I've done my share of crazy too in my time. All i can say as far as people here saying to not take the job is that sometimes crazy is the only way to keep the rain off the kids. (get me)

Be safe bro and i hope you have a partner there with you to spot for ya.
                        Last edited by Arthur96; 05-24-2009, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I agree, you cannot charge enough for this kind of work.
                          sigpic
                          www.uandiplumbing.com

Comment

It rained every day last week Sooo Today was the day ....

Started out BAD ... Pipe would NOT Snap !

Sooo Used a Diamond Blade in Recip ..Almost Useless !!! 15 Minutes Later the cut is Made :-)

All Done all Flowing :-)

Customer Whined , Then Wrote Check ...

Comment

WOW, how much did you end up charging him for the job?

Comment

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
                                It rained every day last week Sooo Today was the day ....

Started out BAD ... Pipe would NOT Snap !

Sooo Used a Diamond Blade in Recip ..Almost Useless !!! 15 Minutes Later the cut is Made :-)

All Done all Flowing :-)

Customer Whined , Then Wrote Check ...

Those Ridgid cast cutters look as good as mine.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                                X