Weeel isin't This SPECIAL !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoeEttica
    started a topic Weeel isin't This SPECIAL !!!

Weeel isin't This SPECIAL !!!

Here we go tunneled 12' under a House and Found This ... Got to cut it out and Re-do in PVC .... The cou'de Gras (sp) is a sanitary T on it's Back smack dab up against the Bottom of the Slab !!! (Vent Stack) Trying to figure out How to Cut it out !

What's This Job Worth ? ................................. Dave

• Herk
    replied
    Re: Weeel isin't This SPECIAL !!!

Hey! That looks like my clunky old cast iron snapper. I thought I was the only one still using one. Mine needs a rebuild.

Leave a comment:

• evapman
    replied

However much money, it ain't near enough! Times like that I'm glad I'm 6'5" and 265lbs! So sorry but I don't fit in "There"

Leave a comment:

• rookie plumber
    replied

Can't think of anything more dangerous than tunneling in what looks like sand.

Leave a comment:

• NJOY PLBG
    replied

U need to donate the old fittings u cut out to a museum. I used to do those kind of jobs when I irst started in biz. Thank god I can pass them up now. Good on ya

Leave a comment:

• westcoastplumber
    replied

I never ever try and snap old cast. always use a diamond blade on a 41/2" grinder

I had to tunnel under a slab 10' once to repair a line because the customer was very stern about not wanting to cut his new garage floor up. he had some finish put on it...I said ok, but it will cost you $$$

Leave a comment:

• gusty60
    replied

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post
    It rained every day last week Sooo Today was the day ....

Started out BAD ... Pipe would NOT Snap !

Sooo Used a Diamond Blade in Recip ..Almost Useless !!! 15 Minutes Later the cut is Made :-)

All Done all Flowing :-)

Customer Whined , Then Wrote Check ...

Customer should have kissed your muddy boots and given you a large tip!

Leave a comment:

• AFM
    replied

Originally posted by NoeEttica View Post

Sooo Used a Diamond Blade in Recip ..Almost Useless !!! 15 Minutes Later the cut is Made :-)

Those Ridgid cast cutters look as good as mine.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• LoKo498
    replied

WOW, how much did you end up charging him for the job?

Leave a comment:

• NoeEttica
    replied

Leave a comment:

• U&I Plumber
    replied

I agree, you cannot charge enough for this kind of work.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur96
    replied

Crazy job. I've done my share of crazy too in my time. All i can say as far as people here saying to not take the job is that sometimes crazy is the only way to keep the rain off the kids. (get me)

Be safe bro and i hope you have a partner there with you to spot for ya.
    Last edited by Arthur96; 05-24-2009, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NoeEttica
    replied

All Good Input ... The $250.00 Is Above The "Normal" Bill I Have 2 Jack , Hammers 3 Concrete Saws and 2 Demolition Hammers ... Using them is way more Stressful than this Job

Rick You have a good point I will try that with the pool ...

The Structural Issue is interesting ... I worked for a modular Building company as their plumber and We supported Buildings on Stackable Pads Made From 2 X 6 Lumber While I Crawled underneath and Built The manifolds ...
    Never really Thought about it ... The Building then Was Installed On Concrete Pads at least 4' Apart and then only around the Edges ...
    The Slabs had No footer The walls were 1" Stucco Inside and Outside walls ...

I Do not see a structural Issue for an 18" opening Spanned by a Heavy Footer ... Of course I could Be Wrong ... Only foot Traffic on the Inside and The Concrete is Over 40 Years old and at least 5" Thick

Lots of Different Opinions Here It's All Good

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Drip Trip
    replied

The owner has to put the tenants in a hotel while the slab is cut, pipes replaced, and the floor restored from the problem to the next available depth where the pipe could be installed correctly.

250 is too cheap. That tunnel should cost 5 times more than breaking up the floor. I would have walked if the owner didn't want to do it correctly. I may be broke, but I gots my pride.

Leave a comment:

• Chemeng
    replied

In such a narrow tunnel, watch out when you cut that cast iron out. The pipe is heavy, if it falls on your chest in one piece you will have trouble getting it off of you with no place to move. When I cut out 15 feet of 4" cast in a kicthen wall I used chains to old it up, good thing since it was the heavy walled stuff.This job obviously has safety concerns as many have already posted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X