Your Worst Exposure - sewage and slime

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Worst Exposure - sewage and slime

It didn't seem like much at the time, but I had a barrel of grease trap waste slosh and splash up on my face. I got some in my mouth. Not certain if that is what did it, but about two weeks lated I had uncontrollable diarhea and stomache cramps. Every twenty minutes or so I needed a toilet. I'd plan my day around gas stations.

There was a bad flu going around at the time, and thought I'd just picked that up. Something like 6 weeks later the stool sample came back as giardia. I got a course of antibiotics, metronidazole, which cleared it up after a bit.

Six months or so after that, the same symptoms came back. Tests said C.diff this time, a slow growing gut bacteria that you usually get from being in a hospital or from a course of antibiotics that kills all the other flora in your gut and makes room for this to get out of control. Oddly the same drugs kill this too, you just need more for longer. Been about a year since then, symptom free.

I've waded in basements shin deep more than once, hung down in lift stations and septic tanks arms in it up to my biceps, face inches away, and never gotten sick from it. Grease traps are the nastiest.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have been inside the plants where the $hit goes to replace pumps, and piping, not fun
      Doing an upgrade to one now, it is a bad place.

Comment

my worst exposure was about 10-12 years ago. i was wearing an older pair of work jeans and earlier in the day i thought i was on the bottom rung of the ladder and well i wasnt so lets just say i compromised the structrual integrity of the jeans i was wearing so later on that day i was replacing someones kitchen sink faucet laying on my back i wasnt thinking about my compromised jeans and perhaps relaxed a little to much and there they went the rest of the way pretty much from belt loop to zipper with the lady of the housee and there 10 year old daughter with a front row view of my tidy whitey's. that by far was my worst exposure
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

The worst stink I have been associated with is at at a rendering plant. I really can't describe it, except to say that is almost palpable. Seriously, it's like a thick blanket that you can't escape from. I have cut into lines with sawzalls and got splattered. Probably one of the funkiest things is like Tozzi is doing, changing ejector/bellows pumps in **** pits at some of the plants. Everything is **** encrusted. You wear tyvek and rubber boots and rubber gloves and it still is a soul destroying experience.

Comment

Working...
          X