X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Worst Exposure - sewage and slime

I did some work on my drains this weekend. Got to experiment with the microDrain a bit in my toilet and through a sink line. I had a bunch of black hair sludge in my sink drain that I had to clear out.

I didnt wear gloves... pry not a big deal in my own home but it got me to thinking.

What is the worst situations you guys have run into with being exposure to nasty materials without proper protection.

Ever been exposed to something that you thought about for a few weeks wondering if it was going to give you some incurable disease?

Josh

Re: Your Worst Exposure - sewage and slime

I wrote about this before but its worth retelling...

Here's an disgustiing one for you. When I first started I went to unstop a urinal that was full of urine. I thought it would be a good idea to use the general kinetic water ram. I tried to protect myself by using a plastic garbage bag. Not very well though. So I pumped it up, pulled the trigger, and up came the urine. I was wearing a cap at the time, and the urine was dripping from the bill of the cap. Luckily my mouth was closed.

I stripped and took a shower in the nearby sink.

Needless to say, I haven't used the water ram for a urinal since 1995.

It really freaked me out

Then there was this time...

I was running a sewer from a roof vent but could not pass the bottom of the vent for some reason I never found out.

Frustrated and hot I pulled the cable out not paying attention to how much was left.

The blades came out of the vent. The cable flung the blades right at my face and hit me in the mouth.

I dropped the cable, pulled my latex and leather gloves off, and felt my mouth. I thought I was ok until I tasted blood. When I spit, it was a spit ball of blood.

I slid down the ladder passed the customer, and ran inside. The top of my lip had a small cut about a 1/4 inch. I put my mouth under the lavatory faucet to wash out my mouth. Then used the customers mouthwash.

The bleeding stopped, and figured it was really too late to do anything, the damage was done. If I was infected, there was nothing I could do. So I went back on the roof, changed my attachment to get passed the bottom of the vent. Ran the cable out, and pulled out tampons.

Soon after I got hepatitis a or b shots, cant remember, and a tetanus shot for future incidents.

I am disease free today.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

the worst was the couple of drops i ingested on an indoor overhead jetting job a number of years back

never ever smile when your jetting

i was working from a 12'' x 12'' access panel in a lobby area and i smiled

needless to say i was sick within 48 hours.

after 10 days i went to visit my friend dr. gary

gary's a g.i. colon rectal dr. he doesn't ask you to stick out your tongue and go ahh

instead he tells you to

nothing like your good friend getting down and dirty with you

so after he checked under the hood he prescribed 2 different meds.

sure it cured me, but i lost 20# in the process

no smiling and wear your gloves

ps. gary and i still see each other

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Ever been exposed to something that you thought about for a few weeks wondering if it was going to give you some incurable disease?

Josh
        And I've hoped the itching and burning was just in my head.

On a serious note. I think about it a lot but I sure don't dwell on it. I have been covered, mouth open and 7 hours from a shower. I don't think ae take enough precations...... Whats the life expectancy of a drain cleaner?

Comment

I'm curious Josh why you think your drains are any less contaminated than any anyone else's?

Wading through sewage, bellybutton deep in a abandoned apartment building full of homeless squatters. No electric, so we had to use a tape snake

The trap from a floor drain spilling down my shirt full of a sticky brown slime. The drain was from the hospital morgue

I've probably had many worst than those but these two stick out in my mind because they were early on in my career.

Comment

I am sure there are dirtier systems. Shoot I get my kids crap on my hands all the time. Plus I am just thinking optomistically. I really should wear gloves. Especially when I have little cuts and stuff.

Whenever I handle cameras that have been in sewers at works I always wash my hands before I eat... thats a good thing right.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            I'm curious Josh why you think your drains are any less contaminated than any anyone else's?

Comment

Cincinnati,

NORMAR

Biggest govt. subsidized housing, 400 homes.

When we would do clogged drains, they would be cesspools in the basement, sometimes 7-12 months of standing sewage that turned black and had mold caps growing on top of them.

Bring the machine in and the drum would be spinning it up into the rafters.

Be afraid, be very afraid.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Another one, house had two other houses connected to the same line/sewer.

Another NORMAR home and when we arrived there was 25" of wastewater in the basement. At the drain stack at the center of the back wall, what was seen next was unreal.

Next time you see a large dump truck dumping sand out of it? Envision that drain line where human excrement almost 2 foot thick, tall enough to where it was coming out of the stack at the opening. About 10 foot long and about 12 foot wide. And once again...have to run the machine in the mess but we had a trash pump running from the second we got there.

Bad news? Had a leaking boot on that job, after 4 hours the boss come by and told us to pack up. No chance of opening as he realized the pipe was collapsed before we arrived. Niiiiice.

There is absolutely nothing I miss about doing service work in Cincinnati. Freaking absolutely horrible.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I had one that was an over head sewer. It had one of them wonderful die-cast plugs on it. I had my drums handy, put a wrench on the square and snap the square broke off. The pressure blew the can out of the way so I quickly jabbed my hand over the hole in the plug to stop the flow of water till my helper can get the can in position. Now I throttled the flow of sewerage into the drum with my hand till we filled up two 55 gallon drums. After all said and done I noticed I had a pretty deep gash in my hand. I went upstairs washed my hand out real good with a garden hose, then asked th lady for a slice of bread. She then said to me if you are hungry I can make you a sandwich. I explained it was for the cut to stop the bleeding. Proceeded to clear her drain put a new plug on then went to the ER to get 10 stitches.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    the worst was the couple of drops i ingested on an indoor overhead jetting job a number of years back

never ever smile when your jetting

i was working from a 12'' x 12'' access panel in a lobby area and i smiled

needless to say i was sick within 48 hours.

after 10 days i went to visit my friend dr. gary

gary's a g.i. colon rectal dr. he doesn't ask you to stick out your tongue and go ahh

instead he tells you to

nothing like your good friend getting down and dirty with you

so after he checked under the hood he prescribed 2 different meds.

sure it cured me, but i lost 20# in the process

no smiling and wear your gloves

ps. gary and i still see each other

rick.
                    Of all things I've read or experienced so far this is the one that gets me the sickest to think about.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Of all things I've read or experienced so far this is the one that gets me the sickest to think about.

J.C.
                      What about me? You don't even kiss him!
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                        What about me? You don't even kiss him!
                        Narcissist.

J.C.

Comment

I guess rick and gary check each other plumbing from time to time.

It all works out in the end.........well that didn't sound quite right but you get the picture.........well maybe you shouldn't.....you know what I mean!!

Worst I have to deal with is stinking sprinkler water, just keep your mouth shut when pulling drops out.

G3

Comment

i originally met dr. gary about 18 years ago when his sewer was backed up and the prior drain guy told him it needed to be dug out.

so 3 days of no sewers and a wife and 3 kids was not working. he found me from a referral and not only did i locate his sewer pipe. i cleared his stoppage too

he has been a real friend for well over 15 years now. joey and i are part of his entire family.

in fact his oldest son had the opportunity to work with joeys brother in the e.r. while in college.

how many parents can admit that their plumber got their son into medical school

so you see, gary is more than just a dr. to me

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I was a second year apprentice at the time. Five and a half metres deep over a 300mm reinforced concrete sewer main house connection juction.
                              Just had to break it up and pull it out with the excavator and chains.
                              First pump with the jachammer i noticed the hairline crack in the top of pipe start to weep and before i could signal to the guys up the top to pull me out it let go!!!!!!
                              I had the chemical overalls on with duct tape over my gumboots and gloves. All the 2 month old backed up sewer spouted up and into the neck of my overalls and you guessed it filled me up. Didnt shower for another couple of hours. Ill never forget that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X