Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone make a quality product anymore.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone make a quality product anymore.

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
    True, Those are all very 100% correct points as well. I will give that to ya

This reminds me of that car commercial, when they guy says "what does your car sound like"
    The one for the new Jetta Clean Diesel? I like the "what does your hybrid sound like" ... "whoosh" instead of "vrrr."

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Is it? Sometimes those test statistics get screwy to me.

How would a 2009 Toyota Camry compare against 1955 Chevrolet in a collision? I wonder if the weight would offset some of the safety features?

J.C.
      The weight (I did check 2/3, the numbers I saw were about 3000 lbs. My cars are just over 2) is why I inserted the likely. I am assuming things like ABS, and the better handling probably help you get in fewer accidents.

If you do get in a collision. I think a stock '55 might not have come with seat belts. Staying in the car is a big plus. On top of the seat belts, crumple zones and air bags probably help too. Of course, you would probably be able to fix the '55 Chevy and the Camry would be totaled, but a car is pretty cheap compared a personal injury suit.

Edit: From Wikipedia;
      Saab was the first car manufacturer to introduce seat belts as standard in 1958
      In 1955 Ford offered for the first time lap belts as an option.
      Last edited by cpw; 05-25-2009, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
        The one for the new Jetta Clean Diesel? I like the "what does your hybrid sound like" ... "whoosh" instead of "vrrr."
        ya that one

Comment

The issue of plastic quality, or appropriatenes for certain applications....is open to debate. But the envirnomental issue is a red herring. Who throws all this stuff out? Never heard of landfill or recycle?

And what are the environmental costs of mining copper, iron, etc.???

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
            The issue of plastic quality, or appropriatenes for certain applications....is open to debate. But the envirnomental issue is a red herring. Who throws all this stuff out? Never heard of landfill or recycle?

And what are the environmental costs of mining copper, iron, etc.???
            Yes. I find people mold things all the time to fit their needs rather than taking a look at the total picture from "ground to product back to ground" with all things in between being included.

Good point.

J.C.

Comment

I posted this a while back in the other forums but it fits with quality or should I say lack of quality in todays products. Its from an old 1917 plumbing code book for the State of Ohio.

Plumbing
              Definition
              Plumbing is the art of installing in buildings the pipes, fixtures and other apparatus for introducing the water supply and removing liquid and water-carried wastes. It must be installed in accordance with scientific principles and natural laws.
              Relation to Health
              The value of plumbing to public health is important because it removes human wastes from the immediate neighborhood of buildings. Plumbing also furnishes the opportunity for liberal consumption and use of pure wholesome water for drinking, bathing, culinary and other domestic purposes.
              Inferior Stops, Valves and Fixtures
              A cheap grade of stop and waste cocks, valves and fixtures often used in the installation is a false economy and expensive practice. inconvenience, annoyance, waste of water and continual repairs are the resulting penalties from this practice.
              Low First Cost Mistaken Economy
              A second class plumbing and drainage system in cost will prove itself a second class system. A year or so in service will reveal the inefficiency of the fixture, device or construction. Discomfort, inconvenience, cost of repairs, foul odors, insanitary and unhealthful conditions are the resulting penalties which the unfortunate occupant must pay.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              Ron's Facebook
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

guys from a standpoint of longevity, plastics will outlast most other plumbing materials.

plastic traps rarely rot out. plastic waste lines don't rust and are easy to clean 100%. can't say that about any other product, including copper dwv. it does rot with waste.

not saying plastic is perfect, it definitely is a good product if installed properly.

if you don't think so, tell me why 99% of all new gas is hdpe. and if you don't think plastic is superior, then you've never installed a hdpe waste line or gas line.

with the cost of raw materials, plastic will be taking over as the material of choice.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  guys from a standpoint of longevity, plastics will outlast most other plumbing materials.

plastic traps rarely rot out. plastic waste lines don't rust and are easy to clean 100%. can't say that about any other product, including copper dwv. it does rot with waste.

not saying plastic is perfect, it definitely is a good product if installed properly.

if you don't think so, tell me why 99% of all new gas is hdpe. and if you don't think plastic is superior, then you've never installed a hdpe waste line or gas line.

with the cost of raw materials, plastic will be taking over as the material of choice.

rick.
                  agreed

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post

It seems to me that most threaded plastic parts I run into are more likely to leak than their brass counterparts. Mostly because people are overtightening which is too easy to do. I do use plastic ptraps and have no problem with abs/pvc dwv. Also no problem with fluidmasters and water supplies.

But these plastic parts in particular always seem to be inferior. IMO

waste and overflow
                  pop up assembly
                  basket strainer
                  dishwasher tailpiece
                  angle stop

Also I've seen pex pipe spin loose on a 90 while under pressure without leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                    When your RIGHT you're right , Plastic will last a long time thats for sure, but Plastic does burn though and many fireman hate the fumes....I think, I was just trying to think of something good...LOL

I still like copper

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                      Does anyone make a quality product anymore.

Oh and to answer this in one word:

RIDGID = 100% QUALITY

PS: Imagine a world with "hard plastic pipe wrenches"
                      KISS A$$. Just for my 2 cents, I don't believe installation difficulty equates longevity of a product.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

speaking of quality have you guys checked were our faucets are coming form Delta,Moen,Kohler China thats right china i could not beleve this untill i started fliping over the boxes and looking for the country of origian. and as I read in these forums you guys dont like a company like Wolvrine Brass who does make their stuff here. So what is a plumber to do and what realy is quality ?

Comment

I hope that those of you that have used, or continue to use, Dahl valves and products are pleased with our quality.

We continue to manufacture in Canada with components that we machine from brass rod purchased in the USA.

Our products are more expensive than the competition but that's what it takes to make a solid product and keep the jobs here.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            Where can you still get quality. Why is there so much plastic crap on the market today, and moreover, why do we buy it? I'll bet it's close to possible to plumb an entire house from piping to fixtures with 80% plastic.

I've been to three trade shows in the past couple of months and have to go to another on the 9th. What I notice more than anything else is the sea of plastic crap on everyone's tables.

One thing we all need to remember is where plastic comes from...

Oil

Demand for everything from PEX to water bottles to food containers to toy packaging drives our oil machine not just the gas pumps...

All this talk of oil independance yet the business machine is still making more ways to use this stuff harumph!

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                              One thing we all need to remember is where plastic comes from...

Oil

Demand for everything from PEX to water bottles to food containers to toy packaging drives our oil machine not just the gas pumps...

All this talk of oil independance yet the business machine is still making more ways to use this stuff harumph!

Doesn't some plastic come from soy beans? I'm serious.
                              Maybe not what is used for piping but other types of plastic.

Comment

Let's all trace the history of the past 40 or so years of the plumbing trade slowly going downhill and then let's try and see when plastics were first introduced and accepted into the trade. Beginning to see a connection? Hmmmm
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X