Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone make a quality product anymore.

Where can you still get quality. Why is there so much plastic crap on the market today, and moreover, why do we buy it? I'll bet it's close to possible to plumb an entire house from piping to fixtures with 80% plastic.

I've been to three trade shows in the past couple of months and have to go to another on the 9th. What I notice more than anything else is the sea of plastic crap on everyone's tables.
    sigpic

Re: Does anyone make a quality product anymore.

We're on the same page with this subject.

Politics aside.

Some things are just better in brass in my opinion.

Such as:

waste and overflow
    pop up assembly
    basket strainer
    dishwasher tailpiece
    angle stop

I refuse to use plastic versions of these particular parts and I'm sure there are others I cant think of at this moment.

I also prefer copper over pex.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

This very subject has planted a burr up my arse for some time now.

I'm tired of being told how a product has been improved, only to find it cheapened in quality.

I'm tired of being told I need to do a better job of marketing the bullchit product that I can't put my own faith in.

Maybe I should just give in and start selling the cheap crap like everyone else.

- bullheaded in IL

Comment

Pretty forward thinking back in 1967..."One Word..Plastics"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Where can you still get quality. Why is there so much plastic crap on the market today, and moreover, why do we buy it? I'll bet it's close to possible to plumb an entire house from piping to fixtures with 80% plastic.

I've been to three trade shows in the past couple of months and have to go to another on the 9th. What I notice more than anything else is the sea of plastic crap on everyone's tables.
          I agree completely,

Check out this video:

Talks Capt. Charles Moore on the seas of plastic

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/c...f_plastic.html

Capt. Charles Moore of the Algalita Marine Research Foundation first discovered the Great Pacific Garbage Patch -- an endless floating waste of plastic trash. Now he's drawing attention to the growing, choking problem of plastic debris in our seas.

I say Lets bring the REAL materials back

They are:

• Copper
          • Brass
          • Cast Iron
          Just my opinion

Great Thread NHMASTER!!
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

What sustains to be produced is what is demanded.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              What sustains to be produced is what is demanded.

J.C.
              No Not Really, More like BIG CORPS using all there money to "influence"
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                No Not Really, More like BIG CORPS using all there money to "influence"
                I disagree. Have you ever contracted? Tell a customer the benefits of copper and the cost differential and see what is "demanded".

They did not build all the WalMarts because of higher quality products with superior materials that result in a long term buy for the consumer.

Consumers are more educated than ever and continue to demand cheaper products which directly impacts those products quality.

J.C.

Comment

I disagree. Have you ever contracted? Tell a customer the benefits of copper and the cost differential and see what is "demanded".

J.C.
                  Hi, sorry I kinda still disagree, so here is just "my" view on things,

My point is that the time the "contractor" gets to the "customer" they(Customer) have all ready been brainwashed / convinced by big names and huge ad campaingns.

Kinda like how small towns realize how important the hardware store is and they fight to keep those wal-marts out.

Kinda how people rather grab a "whopper" or "big mac" instead of cooking anymore.

People see BIG names ( Lowes, Home Depot) selling TONS of plastic plumbing parts for cheap...so what do they think?

Now if the same stores just sold copper , brass, and cast Iron.....well.?

PLUS - This EARTH is was over loaded with plastic.

Maybe we just need to educate the public about how bad plastic is?

Let me give you an example.

In the "older" days, you could walk into a home with a nice brass, or copper p- trap or trip lever.

If it needed to be fixed you could wipe out some 50/50 and patch that hole and the job was done.

These days you walk in, Its plastic, no way to fix it but to replace it, so you replace the trap and waaaa laaaa more garbage.

Now you might say, "well that's only garbage"

UNTIL you local, state federal taxes all go up, Someone has to "pay" to get rid of all these "plastic" p -traps ...right?

Its like this with anything, Not just plumbing,, contracting etc.

There is NO WAY my PLASTIC CAR is better then a NICE STEEL 55 CHEVY.....

OR we could just respectfully agree to disagree

Comment

Does anyone make a quality product anymore.

Oh and to answer this in one word:

RIDGID = 100% QUALITY

PS: Imagine a world with "hard plastic pipe wrenches"

Comment

Respectfully agree some, respectfully disagree some too.

Ironically I suppose, I was at this show last weekend. Early American art.

J.C. ('56 post?)
                      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                        There is NO WAY my PLASTIC CAR is better then a NICE STEEL 55 CHEVY.....
                        Except it has better gas mileage, probably handles a whole lot better, and with newer safety features is likely even safer than your the '55 Chevy even though it is 2/3 the weight.

Comment

Respectfully agree some, respectfully disagree some too.

Ironically I suppose, I was at this show last weekend. Early American art.

J.C. ('56 post?)
                          Now see thats what I mean, WHAT A BEAUTY!!!!

Thanks for posting that!

I want one sooo bad!!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            Except it has better gas mileage, probably handles a whole lot better, and with newer safety features is likely even safer than your the '55 Chevy even though it is 2/3 the weight.
                            True, Those are all very 100% correct points as well. I will give that to ya

This reminds me of that car commercial, when they guy says "what does your car sound like"

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              Is it? Sometimes those test statistics get screwy to me.

How would a 2009 Toyota Camry compare against 1955 Chevrolet in a collision? I wonder if the weight would offset some of the safety features?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X