Plumbing has Kinda Changed Huh?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing has Kinda Changed Huh?

Used to soak my rope runner for a week in cutting oil before using it for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by APHCO View Post
      .......and then rub the just cleaned joint with a plumbers candle to keep it from oxidizing and to act as a flux while you are wiping. A plumbers candle is the big fat candles that contain alot of stearic acid.
      Got any pics? Does it look like a regular candle that you light?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I got to the hammers and all I thought was:

Hammer
        Hammer
        Hammer
        Hammer

I know none of the technical names.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
          Used to soak my rope runner for a week in cutting oil before using it for the first time.
          How come, I never heard that...could ya teach me why

Comment

I still have some of those tools, mostly use them for other things like gardening and tinkering around the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
              I have the lead tools, I use them for making bullets and fishing gear
              I pour a lot of fishing stuff too...
              411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Got any pics? Does it look like a regular candle that you light?

I'll take some pictures in a few days of some tools, wiped joints and candles. The candles are just large candles with wicks. There are other things the old timers used as flux but I have only used candles.

Are the instructions for posting pictures on a sticky or somewhere else? While I can wipe lead joints, I don't know how to post pictures. Time to learn!

Comment

You can put a lobster pot on the lead burner, works super!

Still teach lead joinery. Kids love it. Playing with molten lead, great fun.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                    Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
                    How come, I never heard that...could ya teach me why
                    Softens the runner and keeps the lead from sticking to it. Sticky lead is bad

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      Softens the runner and keeps the lead from sticking to it. Sticky lead is bad
                      Ahhh Thank you , I never knew that

Comment

Plus it stinks the house up to high heaven. I seem to recall some commercial prep that didn't stink so bad nor catch fire the first couple of pours but I can't remember the name.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          You can put a lobster pot on the lead burner, works super!

Oh thats a good idea Mmmmmmm...Lobster

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          Still teach lead joinery. Kids love it. Playing with molten lead, great fun.
                          Thats cool, I used to love when my shop teachers etc would do the "cool stuff"

I remember this one shop class I took in Bayport NY, they let me make a grappling hook,. It was kinda neat

Going back on topic, Glad to see that the art is not yet lost

Comment

You can still pick up the tool kits, here is a partial kit for sale:

Comment

My first partner was a Chicago plumber. He was my age, but I was a 32 year old first year apprentice, and he had been journeyed out for several years. He had several old timers during his apprenticeship. They taught him "old school." He caught me caulking a joint using my claw hammer, he kindly told me to stop what I was doing, and use a ball peen hammer. I asked why, and he said that was how he was taught, and that's how I was going to learn. I used a ball peen hammer as long as we were partnered up, but I haven't used one since.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                                My first partner was a Chicago plumber. He was my age, but I was a 32 year old first year apprentice, and he had been journeyed out for several years. He had several old timers during his apprenticeship. They taught him "old school." He caught me caulking a joint using my claw hammer, he kindly told me to stop what I was doing, and use a ball peen hammer. I asked why, and he said that was how he was taught, and that's how I was going to learn. I used a ball peen hammer as long as we were partnered up, but I haven't used one since.
                                When I went down state for my test, lots of the guys lost a few points for having the wrong hammer. They want a 16oz ball peen hammer, which I knew since I was taught by the old timers as well. I got a laugh when I broke up my joint and returned to the examiner with my lead and oakum, and he said Oh you must be from Chicago, these southern boys do not do much lead work.
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                Ron's Facebook
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X