Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plumbing has Kinda Changed Huh?

Ron,
    when you caulk a lead joint, can you peen the joint all the way around without lifting the the iron off it? I used to, but I don't do enough lead joints anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
      Ron,
      when you caulk a lead joint, can you peen the joint all the way around without lifting the the iron off it? I used to, but I don't do enough lead joints anymore.
      I dunno if I can still, It has been a while for me as well. Last time I had to caulk a joint was about 2 years ago at the Wonder Bread plant when I had to replace a few CI floor drains.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I still carry my caulking irons around - every once in a while, I have to tighten up a loose joint. Did one in a crawler a couple of months ago because the idjits tried to loosen a plug and wound up loosening the ferrule instead.

Yes, the scrapers are used to scrape oxidation off the pipe prior to heating with lead. Although we had candles, I don't remember using them much. Carbon black for the inside of the pipe to keep lead from sticking, paper tape to wrap on the outside of the pipe for the same reason. I don't know from acrylic - all I remember is plain lead.

The wiping solder has to be very close to the right temperature or it will burn clear through the pipe. I know it will burn clear through a thumb.

First, you heat the pipe by continually pouring solder over it, then, when it begins to stick, you can form a joint around the pipe. The wiping cloth is used to pull the solder from the bottom of the pipe back to the top. Easy to slip and burn your fingers.

I haven't had a furnace for many years, but I still have ladles, pots, lead, irons. I'd like to buy one, but can't justify the cost.

Comment

I still have my caulking irons and my old, now pretty well beat-up 16oz hammer which I cut about 4" off the handle length. That makes it easier to get in tight spots and it fits nicely in your back pocket without all that handle sticking out.

Don't have a furnace or lead pot or ladle any more, but then again don't find I need them either with what I do now. Still the furnace would be handy for a pot of crabs or clams at a BBQ.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
          X