X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing has Kinda Changed Huh?

How many of these tools are in your box?

Plumbing has Kinda Changed Huh?

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Re: Plumbing has Kinda Changed Huh?

I hated lead work in my apprenticeship please don`t remind me.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      I hated lead work in my apprenticeship please don`t remind me.

Tony

LOL - FOR sure it was way rougher and harder work then, I have nothing but utmost respect for the guys that worked with that stuff!
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

What was the shave hook used for? I've used it in carpentry but can't see a use in plumbing. If anyone ever wipes a lead joint, could they make a video? Never seen it done or even have a clue how to do it. I know I'll never have to do one but am still curious about the process.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hi gear if i remember using a shave hook at trade schol to prepare the two surfaces for a lead soldered/sweated joint. Itll shave off the acrylic layer (if its acrylead!) and allow for a good weld. PS ALL lead work is still taught today in Victoria. SUCKS!!!!!!

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          What was the shave hook used for? I've used it in carpentry but can't see a use in plumbing. If anyone ever wipes a lead joint, could they make a video? Never seen it done or even have a clue how to do it. I know I'll never have to do one but am still curious about the process.

Comment

Can you explain the acrylic layer? Any links on this work?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Hi

This is where I found the pictures

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improve...ls-Part-1.html

Click on one of those links and scroll past all the ads and youll see the info,

NOT my website BTW.....

Hope that helps, There is some interesting stuff on those pages.

Like:

The Plumber's Tools. Part 2

The dresser is a tool used in shaping and smoothing up lead pipe and sheet lead.
              Most dressers manufactured and sold are of hard wood, but many plumbers prefer to make their own of soft wood. The softwood dresser does not mar the lead as the hard wood does.
              The bending of lead pipe is done in several ways, one of which is by the use of sand.
              The pipe is filled with sand and the ends securely plugged, after which the pipe at the bending point is heated slightly, in which condition, if the sand is closely packed, a very perfect bend may be made. The sand plugs shown in illustration are used for plugging the ends of pipe to be bent in this manner. These plugs are made in two styles, as shown.

Comment

The acrylic protects any metals on the roof ie; spout/downpipes/roofing iron/colorbon/zincalume etc. There is a NOBLE SCALE which states which metals are compatible and which are not. If the table is not followed and the materials are not compatible you will have rapid galvanic/electrolytic?corrosion. Google noble scale of metals and look around. Its there somewhere. Hope this helps gear

Last edited by ozplumb; 05-26-2009, 02:58 AM. Reason: noble scale

Comment

I don't have any of those tools, but now that i've seen them I need to have them o.O
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I've got a good share of those caulking irons and a pouring rope laying around somewhere. Use them every so often, but not very much.

The way faucets go in today, you can add the basin wrench to the pics in another few years.

Comment

I have 90% of them tools. Do not need the wiping tools anymore. But i still use my joint runner, pot, ladle and caulking irons.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

believ it or not i have the entire set of cold chisels for lead work

Comment

For the wiping solder to adhere to the lead pipe just as when soldering to copper you need a clean surface. The shave hook was used to scrape the oxidation (the dull grey coating) off the lead to uncover the bright clean lead for wiping.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            For the wiping solder to adhere to the lead pipe just as when soldering to copper you need a clean surface. The shave hook was used to scrape the oxidation (the dull grey coating) off the lead to uncover the bright clean lead for wiping.
                            .......and then rub the just cleaned joint with a plumbers candle to keep it from oxidizing and to act as a flux while you are wiping. A plumbers candle is the big fat candles that contain alot of stearic acid.

Comment

I have the lead tools, I use them for making bullets and fishing gear

Comment

Working...
                              X