Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is why I can't sell more water heaters

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    It's "source of ignition" not "flame" so even a spark from electrical switches.

Mark
    Like an automobile starter solenoid?

Comment

P.S. I spoke to code enforcement for my state of Nunya and was told that if an FVIR test is done by any mfg. they will eliminate the stand requirement for that company.

But the manufacturers have never done the test to my knowledge because they never deemed it necessary.

J.C.

Comment

The shut off valve is on the cold side, not the hot. Our inspectors can't figure out what they want to see for an electric water heater. Some want it on a stand, some don't. The way I read my code book is that the water heater should be on a stand, but to be honest, if I replace one that sits on the garage floor, I usually don't install a stand.

I used to do a lot of work for this property management company, but since Home Depot opened in my town, there handy men (and I use that term loosely) think they can do more. I haven't installed a water heater for them in months.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Like an automobile starter solenoid?
          So Utah,
          You'll be supporting me in my proposal to the building officials that all garages be built with car ramps at 18" elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            So Utah,
            You'll be supporting me in my proposal to the building officials that all garages be built with car ramps at 18" elevation.
            No but I might come along and giggle a little.

Part of this has to do with fumes in your garage collecting while no one is around and then being set off by an automation source of ignition. They wouldn't have to worry about my garage as it hasn't seen a car in it in over 20-years.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
              I came across this beauty at a four plex I worked on today.

The original water heater was a fifty gallon electric, and I am pretty sure this is just a thirty gallon to feed two and a half baths. I know that either the property manager or the owner said get the water heater replaced as cheap as possible. A couple of trips to Home Depot by a couple of so called handymen, and now you have a water heater again. Who gives a crap if it is a horrible install, it still heats water, right?

Stuff like this pisses me off to no end. There is no way to compete with crap like this. The town doesn't give a crap about this stuff either. I just needed someone to rant to, and figured this would be a good place to do it.
              its ugly for sure BUT other than using solid copper to plumb it and put a strap on it. How else would you do this? its pre-existing so you sorta have to put it back where it was no?

Comment

No but I might come along and giggle a little.

Part of this has to do with fumes in your garage collecting while no one is around and then being set off by an automation source of ignition. They wouldn't have to worry about my garage as it hasn't seen a car in it in over 20-years.

Mark
                Who cares...
                You have twice an investment in bikes and equipment.
                Who wastes perfect storage area on a car anyway.

Poor Nevada...You O/K?
                Little drift my friend.
                Good thing he knows us.Someone who doesn't may get pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
                  its ugly for sure BUT other than using solid copper to plumb it and put a strap on it. How else would you do this? its pre-existing so you sorta have to put it back where it was no?
                  Arthur. It's poor craftsmanship all the way. Most tradespeople I have seen that are good at what they don't follow the path of "it's not leaking so it's fine".

I even look back at my own sometime and think I should have done way better.

J.C.
                  Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 05-29-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

The part which is not pre-existing is they installed a shorter heater so they added extra water flexes to the existing flexes. Then the T&P was in a different location so they added another flex to the existing flex on the T&P and trapped the line.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

When you replace a water heater you must bring everything associated up to current code.
                      Buy the proper sized water heater. Run the T&P properly. Full bore shut off valve. ETC...

Comment

The part which is not pre-existing is they installed a shorter heater so they added extra water flexes to the existing flexes. Then the T&P was in a different location so they added another flex to the existing flex on the T&P and trapped the line.

Mark

Yeah but they made one badazz-double-duty-paint-pan holder.

J.C.

Comment

It's also wired direct to who knows where. Around here it's supposed to have a disconnect or receptacle within 3ft of the heater.

I bet that soon the gov will require all flammable liquids must be stored in a special ventilated closet.
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

oh yes i agree with you all here like i said about using solid copper and all that.

but as far as placement goes whould you have moved it?

Comment

The main problem I have with it is you cannot trap the relief valve drain line. If that ever needs to open up in a hurry and it can't, you have a potential bomb on your hands. It would have been better if they just got a sharkbite and put that on so the relief valve drain went downhill the whole way.

The other problem I have is it is harder to make my money installing water heaters when people don't want to have them installed legally. I tell people all the time that stuff is not done right and is a hazard, and I'd say half of them don't care. I am not the first plumber to have this complaint and I know I will not be the last.

Comment

Now I know why most local cities around here want you to pull a permit when you change the water heaters. Installs like that just amaze me. I just had a call from a lady that wanted a "Hybrid Heater" I tried to see if what she was picking out would be sized properly for her needs, she snapped back at me telling me she is an engineer and been researching this for the last 15 years. I said OK fine I give you an estimate, what town do you live in so I can figure in the permit fee. Wow did I touch a nerve with her. She goes off telling me the Town of Lisle does not require a permit to change out a water heater, and she doesn't want strangers in her home looking things over. Of course I explained to her what she is proposing to have done is not a simple change out, it requires upgrading the gas piping, running the vent pipes to the outside wall for the power vent. Then quoted her this paragraph from the city's website.
                                "A permit shall be required to install, repair, maintain, alter, or make additions to any and all piping, fixtures, appurtenances, and appliances connected to any water supply, and/or any storm water and/or sanitary sewage disposal system, including, without limitation, lawn irrigation systems and backflow prevention devices connected to lawn irrigation systems."
                                Well she went off on me,about how she does not want a permit on the job and such. So I just told her "I am sorry ma'am then I can not do any work for you. Have a good day" She was shocked and started to stutter, I then said " If you want this job done right and properly, and are willing to have it inspected please feel free to call me back, Goodbye" then hung up.
                                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                                Ron's Facebook
                                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                                X