Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is why I can't sell more water heaters

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
    The main problem I have with it is you cannot trap the relief valve drain line. If that ever needs to open up in a hurry and it can't, you have a potential bomb on your hands. It would have been better if they just got a sharkbite and put that on so the relief valve drain went downhill the whole way.

The other problem I have is it is harder to make my money installing water heaters when people don't want to have them installed legally. I tell people all the time that stuff is not done right and is a hazard, and I'd say half of them don't care. I am not the first plumber to have this complaint and I know I will not be the last.
    actually the reason you can't trap a relief valve is the water that is trapped in the line will rot out the spring on the relief valve and either cause it to open or rust solid and not open.

rick.

you guys don't need to worry about seismic strapping there
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      actually the reason you can't trap a relief valve is the water that is trapped in the line will rot out the spring on the relief valve and either cause it to open or rust solid and not open.

rick.

you guys don't need to worry about seismic strapping there
      Yeah, I know that, I was in a hurry when I was typing and figured every other plumber would know thats what happens when water sits on the spring and rusts it. It needs to open fast and relieve pressure, but it is rusted shut, so what happens? KaBoom.

We have to use strapping, but it is not spelled out to clearly what type of strapping to use. One of the big housing tracts that came in to town a few years ago speced the seismic straps that I've seen you use in some of your pictures, so my local supplier started carrying those. I've been using them since then. My house is under three years old and just has two 18" long nail guard plates bent with part secured to the top of the water heater with 1/2" screws and part secured to a stud with drywall screws. My water heater sits on a pedestal also.

My neighbors house is a little older then mine, and his electric water heater sits on the garage floor with the same nail guard straps. No one that I have run into in the town building department really knows what they want on new construction. Heck, we didn't even have a building department here until roughly ten years ago. It is still kind of the wild west out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
        Yeah, I know that, I was in a hurry when I was typing and figured every other plumber would know thats what happens when water sits on the spring and rusts it. It needs to open fast and relieve pressure, but it is rusted shut, so what happens? KaBoom.

We have to use strapping, but it is not spelled out to clearly what type of strapping to use. One of the big housing tracts that came in to town a few years ago speced the seismic straps that I've seen you use in some of your pictures, so my local supplier started carrying those. I've been using them since then. My house is under three years old and just has two 18" long nail guard plates bent with part secured to the top of the water heater with 1/2" screws and part secured to a stud with drywall screws. My water heater sits on a pedestal also.

My neighbors house is a little older then mine, and his electric water heater sits on the garage floor with the same nail guard straps. No one that I have run into in the town building department really knows what they want on new construction. Heck, we didn't even have a building department here until roughly ten years ago. It is still kind of the wild west out here.

i can tell you from real life personal experience. i was setting finish on a 400 unit complex when a quake hit that was centered about 30 miles away.

well a 40 gallon heater with water weighs approx. 40 x 8.3 = 332# + 100# for the heater. the outer shell is not strong enough to hold the heater with sheet metal screws and they were jarred. had to go back and secure them all with plumbers tape.

this was before we had our current seismic strapping standards.

my water heater strap of choice is the holdright qs-50 and it rated for a 80 gallon heater. has 2 adjustable straps and self drilling hardened lags.

i always get a quick out of the ones i see that the heaters are strapped, but they are sitting away from the wall with no spacers to take up the slack.

lack of sheet metal screws in the vent connectors to keep them connected.

a quake is in our future it's just a matter of time as to when.

just waiting to see what happens when the masses of seismic gas valves trip. i know that there will be people think they know how to reset a tripped valve and lite the pilots, but have no clue as to testing for a leak.

there will be lots of with no hot water, heat, or cooking. that will be a free for all when it happens.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

i just have one question about this.

how can anybody tell if the T&P valve is leaking?

Vince

Comment

Working...
          X