X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why I can't sell more water heaters

I came across this beauty at a four plex I worked on today.

The original water heater was a fifty gallon electric, and I am pretty sure this is just a thirty gallon to feed two and a half baths. I know that either the property manager or the owner said get the water heater replaced as cheap as possible. A couple of trips to Home Depot by a couple of so called handymen, and now you have a water heater again. Who gives a crap if it is a horrible install, it still heats water, right?

Stuff like this pisses me off to no end. There is no way to compete with crap like this. The town doesn't give a crap about this stuff either. I just needed someone to rant to, and figured this would be a good place to do it.
    Attached Files

Re: This is why I can't sell more water heaters

I'm sorry

Comment

why is an electric water heater on a stand

Comment

Typical joke big box installation but what about that CO in the fire wall behind the heater? How does anyone rationalize the money saved versus the life and safety risked?

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          why is an electric water heater on a stand
          Just wait now even dryers have to be on platforms in garages. I'm sure the day of having the laundry in the garage is over.

Mark

Comment

Is there a valve on the hot side, am I seeing that right? I also like the t&P valve line running straight up in the air, WoWee.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Typical joke big box installation but what about that CO in the fire wall behind the heater? How does anyone rationalize the money saved versus the life and safety risked?

Mark
              So what's the deal?
              I thought the whole point was to prevent fumes from reaching an open flame.
              How do electric heater/dryers present a danger?

Comment

So what's the deal?

I'm not sure, I know back in North Carolina the local inspections department had started requiring it, as well as a curb 3 foot in front of the heater to prevent a car from hitting it. I think i've installed 1 electric water heater since I moved to missouri, and it was in a basement.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  I'm not sure, I know back in North Carolina the local inspections department had started requiring it, as well as a curb 3 foot in front of the heater to prevent a car from hitting it. I think i've installed 1 electric water heater since I moved to missouri, and it was in a basement.
                  A curb?

Isn't that an Ankle Breaker slash Toe Buster.
                  Our new homes require a 3" galvanized post 36" high immediately in front of the heater if in the garage.

Comment

Some customers need to experience severe property damage before they appreciate the license.

Something to look forward to.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

That looks great! Nothing like sticking a bunch of paint trays to the wall; just adds that finishing touch to a quality job.

I think maybe the comment re the c/o in the firewall has to do with no drywall there compromises the fire rating?
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
                        Some customers need to experience severe property damage before they appreciate the license.

Something to look forward to.

Comment

A curb?

Isn't that an Ankle Breaker slash Toe Buster.
                          Our new homes require a 3" galvanized post 36" high immediately in front of the heater if in the garage.
                          see, I can understand that, the curb just annoyed me, as did putting electric water heaters on a stand <.<
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Post or curb required.

Put it on a stand where flammable vapor material may be stored. Which is pretty much anywhere.

The "foundation" behind the ruling is supposedly a spark can occur in the right situation at a heating element on a water heater and now......dryers are being considered.

Remember, the possible ignition point only has to be above 18". An 18" stand doesn't necessarily have to be used.

J.C.

Comment

So what's the deal?
                              It's "source of ignition" not "flame" so even a spark from electrical switches.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X