Here I go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Here I go

Can you back that up or are you just repeating something you heard? The unions are beneficial to non-union plumbers because the higher union pay is leverage for all plumbers, regardless if they went thru a formal apprenticeship or just learned their trade from Joe the plumber. Why would the manufacturers care about licenses? It's obvious most of them don't. The manufacturers are the worst ones for bringing our trade down. They almost all sell to the big box stores, and their quality level is dropping because they shut down their US plants and make everything in China. All the instructions come in English and Spanish, with fricking pictographs. Yeah, manufacturers are going to want plumbers to be licensed.
    Last edited by Bogart; 06-01-2009, 07:28 PM.

Comment

You might want to look around at what neighboring states requirements are and suggest your state model their licensing similar to the others. Look at states further away too. Those that have higher population densities are more likely to have state licensing (except NY and PA, where they don't give a hoot). Two I would suggest looking at are CA and NJ.

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
      alright, I'm going to start drafting a letter to my state representative this weekend. In effect, I want a state plumbing license, one where they actually make you take a test to gain it. In Missouri certain municipalities have a license, but it's no good in other parts of the state. My Journeyman's license is usless anywhere but Springfield Missouri, if I wanted to work in other areas, I either don't need a license at all, or need that cities version.

Springfield has a fair number of plumbers, but when you get outside of the city, their are a Lot of unlicensed "plumbers". Many of them are very knowledgeable and are a tribute to our trade. Many of them should still be Apprentices.

So I'm hoping some of you might have some ideas on what key points I should/shouldn't mention in my letter. I realize it's probably a pipe dream, but if I send it to enough people in my state government, Maybe one of them will listen.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
        While I appreciate the offer, I think this has to be presented to my Representative at my state capitol.
        BETTER YET, Go to the state Capitol and fU$#k up their plumbing
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Oregon has a state license: A journeyman plumber may perform all plumbing installations, alterations, or remodels. A journeyman plumber has completed an approved apprenticeship training program or equivalent training/experience and has passed the State Plumbing Board plumbing license examination.

Comment

Working...
          X