X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here I go

alright, I'm going to start drafting a letter to my state representative this weekend. In effect, I want a state plumbing license, one where they actually make you take a test to gain it. In Missouri certain municipalities have a license, but it's no good in other parts of the state. My Journeyman's license is usless anywhere but Springfield Missouri, if I wanted to work in other areas, I either don't need a license at all, or need that cities version.

Springfield has a fair number of plumbers, but when you get outside of the city, their are a Lot of unlicensed "plumbers". Many of them are very knowledgeable and are a tribute to our trade. Many of them should still be Apprentices.

So I'm hoping some of you might have some ideas on what key points I should/shouldn't mention in my letter. I realize it's probably a pipe dream, but if I send it to enough people in my state government, Maybe one of them will listen.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Here I go

You want action.

Send a report to insurance lobbyists on how it will save them money.

Then just sit back and wait.

J.C.

Comment

awooo, thats a pretty good idea o.O
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

forward them a link to this thread

even with licensing, it's hard to get the inspectors to enforce the law.

our state contractors board has the power, but lacks the manpower

good luck, and keep it going. should be interesting if they will respond

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

My first thought is to mention to them how the state can make money with the state license. Every state wants to know how to get more money these days.

Comment

Give me the name of your congressman and I'll go knock on his door to hand deliver it

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Give me the name of your congressman and I'll go knock on his door to hand deliver it
              Holy crap!!! I just realized, we have our very own lobbyist. OH the power!!!!!!!!
              Time to get working on some bail outs PC

Maybe you should include some hack work pic's from this site.
              I can't believe MO doesn't require a state lic and Maine does.
              How many other states don't require a state lic?
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I did my apprenticeship, and got my Journeymans in St. Louis. And I had to have a St. Louis city, and a seperate St. Louis county license. I thought that was ridiculous. I have been living in South Dakota for about 8 years and tested for my Masters 5 years ago. The state license lets you work anywhere in the state, but individual municipalities make you pay an annual fee that they call a license to work in the city limits. It's not a big fee never more than $50.00 annually and usually less. Basically anyway you structure it, everyone has their hand out when it comes to our licensing. If you push for state licensing make sure you stress that it is to be one license, one fee. Cities budget that as revenue and are going to fight to prevent that loss of funds.
                I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself.

Comment

I would work it hard from the generating revenue aspect. Money is more important than anything else to a politician, right?

Maybe research some other states with lic. law. try and give solid numbers for revenue generated, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    Holy crap!!! I just realized, we have our very own lobbyist. OH the power!!!!!!!!
                    Time to get working on some bail outs PC
                    Like Spidermans' uncle said: "With Power Comes Responsibility"

We have several high ranking lawmakers as clients. Most are very nice people but others I just want to run down with the company van. This might be bad for business though.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      While I appreciate the offer, I think this has to be presented to my Representative at my state capitol.

Comment

Even if you are non-union, I would bet the Missouri Pipe Trades would be a source of help. Most unions push for state licensing, as a way to level the playing field.

Comment

I'm not union, though we have one in the city here. I think St Louis is pretty heavily union. I might check with them, but i'm going to wait to hear back from my Representative

Comment

Get some trade schools to write letters with you in support of the lic. so maybe their students learning will have ment something. Try to get Manufactures to support you as well. Bring up issues of Health and safety etc. Good Luck!!

Comment

Leave the union out of it they already have too much control. In Maryland the are required to get a certin % of State work.

Comment

Working...
                              X