Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't architects update their specifications?

Just picked up a plan for a new home the other day. The vents are specified as follows...."Vent piping 2-1/2" size and smaller shall be Schedule 40 galvanized steel pipe made up with cast iron drainage fittings."
    We haven't done a Durham job since the mid '60's, but I'm game. Since my competition probably hasn't had the pleasure of fabbing in durham, maybe I'll have a competitive advantage.

Re: Why don't architects update their specifications?

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
    Just picked up a plan for a new home the other day. The vents are specified as follows...."Vent piping 2-1/2" size and smaller shall be Schedule 40 galvanized steel pipe made up with cast iron drainage fittings."
    We haven't done a Durham job since the mid '60's, but I'm game. Since my competition probably hasn't had the pleasure of fabbing in durham, maybe I'll have a competitive advantage.
    I have a few shelves full of the Durham fittings. Nice to have when I hit some of the towns that still do not allow pvc.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      I have a few shelves full of the Durham fittings. Nice to have when I hit some of the towns that still do not allow pvc.
      All I have are 1-1/2" 45's and 22-1/2's for trap offsets. But, I have a supplier who can get whatever I need.

Comment

Architects are AWESOME...especially when they specify some German art house toilet with an outlet significantly smaller than any urinal.
        Last edited by myakka; 05-30-2009, 10:21 PM.

Comment

We have guys doing an apartment complex right now, the plans specify every fixture being on a stack vent, so their are 3 separate lines for each bathroom, 2 3" lines, one for the tubs, and one for the lavs. Thats all pretty, but the third line is a 4 inch stack vent for the toilets. The vent terminals are also all specced to penetrate the roof as 3 inch pipe. These plans also passed the cities plan reviewers.

so they not only don't update their plans, they don't read code books either.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
            We have guys doing an apartment complex right now, the plans specify every fixture being on a stack vent, so their are 3 separate lines for each bathroom, 2 3" lines, one for the tubs, and one for the lavs. Thats all pretty, but the third line is a 4 inch stack vent for the toilets. The vent terminals are also all specced to penetrate the roof as 3 inch pipe. These plans also passed the cities plan reviewers.

Plan reviewers Know squat bout plumin
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Plan reviewers Know squat bout plumin
              no kidding, kind of makes me wonder why they're even here.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

no kidding, kind of makes me wonder why they're even here.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                  Architects are AWESOME...especially when they specify some German art house toilet with an outlet significantly smaller than any urinal.
                  In bed with a high dollar designer.

Comment

An architect can draw whatever he wants.It's the plumbers job to fix his mistakes and present a code approvable product.

$$$$ Change Order$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                      You going to submit ammendments proposal or get underbid.Or do like most guys risk not addressing it.

Comment

Please let My know the date Dan You know Who will inspect these Galvy vents.

I'll bring My folding chair,dark glasses,popcorn and Soda
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

just courious, why would a architect spec a fixture or appliance that hasn't been approved in north america?

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            In bed with a high dollar designer.
                            Ah yes, the designer is his wife

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                              Ah yes, the designer is his wife
                              Out here it's politicaly correct to refer to him as his significant other.
                              Assistant works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X