X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bill T&M ?

I know to some of you this may seem a stupid question but the only way i know is "Flat rate" ie how do you charge for travel time,markup on stuff,drain calls ect ?

Re: How to bill T&M ?

OMG! You have no idea that you've lit the fuse!

J.C.

Comment

I don't think flat rate serves a home owner best and I may want to start my own company and don't want to do flat rate. yea these guys really light up about flat rate but I agree with them.

Comment

JC how do you bill?

Comment

Both.

J.C.

Comment

well how do you charge for drain call when you bill t&m would you use a machine rental fee?

Comment

hey i will be back in ten.

Comment

Travel (and any related shop or supply house time) gets billed to the job. As for markup, if you just charge close to what the local non big box hardware store charges, I don't see where anyone would have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper City Plumber View Post
                  I know to some of you this may seem a stupid question but the only way i know is "Flat rate" ie how do you charge for travel time,markup on stuff,drain calls ect ?

Ok here is a example, customer calls they want there disposal that they bought installed. I install a GD in about 20 minutes so how can i charge by the hour i would go out of business. I could take my time and be there a hour and 1/2 but that takes my time away from other calls. And not fair to customer. So instead i charge flat $125 and me and the customer win. So i would say if you work fast that you should charge flat and if you work slow and not that busy every day you charge hour. I bet if we took a poll must of the guys over 40 charge hour and under 40 charge flat. I know when i get older ill do less work and probally switch to hourly.
                  You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

When I had my shop we charged travel time one way unless they were way out of our service area and then it was whatever it took. There were additional charges for things like water heater disposal, cable charge after 100', leak locating, camera work, snaking from roof and what not.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

what about a price to go out to a call ? Do you add a half hour to the first or charge for travel at a lower rate and add it to the 1st hour?

Comment

Thanks for reminding me why we only bill flat rate.
                        sigpic

Comment

Their time would start at full rate when they left their last job. We did not have trips to the supply house as it was either in their trucks already or the supply house dropped it off at the shop the day before and they got it in the morning. It was rare if ever that someone had to come back to the shop for parts unless it was more cable for a drain which was longer than 200' long without a cleanout.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

when you charge flat rate you never charge more time than you worked I can't buy that and that is one of my problems with it . And do you disclose your hourly rate when you bill flat rate? And if the home owner asks what they are paying for labor?parts? before they agree just what do you tell them. well miss it's a flat rate I can not tell you? What is there to hide? I don't know how to go on this issue I hear a lot of talk both ways. My main questions are how would a company's bill work out with T&M? I have never seen it done.
                            Last edited by Clipper City Plumber; 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

ToUtahNow do you agree with the flat rate guys that are in the trade.?

Comment

Working...
                              X