X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilPhos Pressure Rating

What's the joint PSI rating of SilPhos joints on copper? Any tables with PSI/Temperature etc.?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: SilPhos Pressure Rating

5% or 15% Silver JC?

I was always taught that a properly brazed joint is stronger then the copper pipe...
    Would that mean you could use the pressure rating of the copper as the guide?

As a side note I was at a trade show where they were putting 900PSI to standard pex and fittings...900PSI Burst pressure for 1' pieces

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      5% or 15% Silver JC?

I was always taught that a properly brazed joint is stronger then the copper pipe...
      Would that mean you could use the pressure rating of the copper as the guide?

As a side note I was at a trade show where they were putting 900PSI to standard pex and fittings...900PSI Burst pressure for 1' pieces
      5% and 15% I guess.

Background-Someone asked me how to run a pressure washer system with a central pressure washer that can generate 3,000-5,000psi. Two or more connection points. Hardpiped.

What I was asked.

Thanks.

J.C.

P.S. I first thought galvanized but all options are considered.

Comment

Here is what you need:-)

1. Large volume electric pressure washer (sized to full flow of all connected devices

2. A distribution manifold ( Machined block of Steel ) Each line connected to this manifold will also need it's own distro block and solenoid bank for each soap, wax, spot free rinse ect...

3. Redundant unloaders to manage system pressure

4. Pressure rated Hose for distribution (cheapest option)
        Last edited by OkieBill; 06-02-2009, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bill! Great information.

One thing. The place is approxiamately 40' across then 20' to the proposed pressure washer.

So imagine an L for the piping in the ceiling. And they asked if it could be done overhead in hard pipe with termination points.

Galvanized?

Type K with SilPhos joints?

J.C.

Comment

http://www.dultmeier.com/literature/startacarwash.asp

Down at the bottom are links to materials and equipment

I think either material will work for distribution.. I bet even SCH 80 PVC may work as well (MAYBE)

Comment

From Harris Products Group's website:

What is the tensile strength of a brazed joint? Joint strength depends on several factors: clearance between parts, base metal composition, service temperature and joint quality (low voids, good penetration). Joint design will also affect strength.

The bulk tensile strength of silver braze alloys is 40,000-70,000 psi. When brazing copper-based alloys, failure will occur in the copper or brass. For copper this is usually the annealed strength of the copper alloy. When brazing steel or other ferrous metals, joint strength over 70,000 psi can be achieved under the right conditions.

Keep in mind that braze joints are primarily lap type joints, so strength is a combination of tensile and shear. Joint strength is directly influenced by the above mentioned factors. The only way to accurately determine tensile or other values is to test the brazed assembly.

And here is the CDA annealed ratings table for type M copper.
              http://www.copper.org/applications/p...h_table3c.html

Comment

Thanks. This is where I check for some specs too.

Can anyone make the this table clearer? You'll see the top shows 9,400psi to 10,300psi depending on temperature.

But the numbers below are much lower. What's the purpose of the higher number?

Talking about the drawn copper side, page 25, table 3a.

http://www.copper.org/publications/p...e_handbook.pdf (Looks like the same tables)

J.C.
                Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

jc, the least complicated and least expensive way to do what you want is to buy pressure washer hose and a couple of fittings.

sch 80 pipe and high pressure fittings would work, but it's expensive.

look at the "mcmaster carr" catalog for a good range of fittings and reference information. they have great info on their site and a vast inventory of material. better be sitting down when you look at the prices

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

S= Maximum allowable strength for continuous long term service of the tubing material.

It is only a small fraction of the ultimate tension strength or burst strength.

There is a formula on page 12 that number is used to determine the pressure rating of the copper. They put it in the chart so you know what the pressure number is based on.
                    I m guessing that if you wanted to see if your copper system would hold up to higher pressure you could use a different number that you maybe more comfortable with

Comment

Working...
                    X