Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Link-Seal

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Link-Seal

    Anybody got any experience or tips?
    How is their fire rating on the High-temp series?
    Seen it in a few of the newer sub-terranian projects on larger(6"& up) lines.
    Got an architect that's has the product spec'd for 24 1-1/2" individual condo gas services.
    I am used to drypack and LA approved firecaulking(if needed).Moisture protection is already provided by exterior moisture barrier.
    That many on the smaller diameter lines doesn't make sense.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Link-Seal

    overkill

    almost all our jobs back in the day we were not required to do our own drypacking or firecaulking. the ones we got stuck with were alwys fun palying with the mud

    but what we did have to do is towel bars and paper holders


    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Link-Seal

      We use link seals on most of our projects. On new construction, I prefer to sleeve the wall first just because it's a pain to core drill horizontally.

      The smaller links are harder to work with for sure. For fire rating we usually recess them about a 1/2" then firecaulk to finished surface.

      I'll try to find the chart that shows all the sizes and applications and post the link here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Link-Seal

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        overkill

        almost all our jobs back in the day we were not required to do our own drypacking or firecaulking. the ones we got stuck with were alwys fun palying with the mud

        but what we did have to do is towel bars and paper holders


        rick.

        I don't get your point.
        I already go farther than most.

        What are you refering to....Overkill

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Link-Seal

          adam, pretty much the same feeling you have. doesn't make sense to spec out a very expensive part when water proofing is not the concern.

          core drilling or sleeving a hole and fire caulking is a whole lot less expensive and less technical than the link seal.

          sounds like the architect either has a hawaii trip he needs points for or is concerned about long term leaks?

          are all the other lines spec-ed out with link seals too

          what's wrong with a $10. tube of 3m

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Link-Seal

            It's easy to second guess the guy but there may be some concerns in the soils report he is trying to address. It costs a whole lot more to try and waterproof a failed penetration years down the road then it does to address it during construction.

            Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Link-Seal

              not sure if they are underground?

              who's calling adam




              i did i did

              got the scoop.

              pretty much a finished project that the waterproofing guy is requesting them to install. says they he can't guarantee his waterproofing without them.

              nothing on the plans that calls for them and the pipe is already installed and finished.

              not a cheap extra to eat.

              ps. this is not adams job.

              he won't be 2' in a ditch trying to install them. there will be no photos.

              sorry to say but adams 15 minutes of fame has burned out

              rick.
              phoebe it is

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Link-Seal

                2' in a ditch but the ditch has to be at least three feet to be over Adams head then we can all rag on him about using shoring........





                Oh wait we already did that

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Link-Seal

                  Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                  2' in a ditch but the ditch has to be at least three feet to be over Adams head then we can all rag on him about using shoring........





                  Oh wait we already did that
                  For you guys
                  The best I can do is lay down in the ditch.That should give you 18" overhead.
                  Is that deep enough to justify not having a life.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Link-Seal

                    Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    not sure if they are underground?

                    who's calling adam




                    i did i did

                    got the scoop.

                    pretty much a finished project that the waterproofing guy is requesting them to install. says they he can't guarantee his waterproofing without them.

                    nothing on the plans that calls for them and the pipe is already installed and finished.

                    not a cheap extra to eat.

                    ps. this is not adams job.

                    he won't be 2' in a ditch trying to install them. there will be no photos.

                    sorry to say but adams 15 minutes of fame has burned out

                    rick.
                    15 minutes of fame......Determined by Rick.....Thank you Rick.

                    Buddy called concerned last night.He did not tell me the logistics till this morning before Rick called.Appears the Waterproofing contractor is a poor communicator.Raising a stink that the plumber is responsible for sealing penetration.Nothing in the spec's.
                    Here is something else we get to look forward to.


                    Sorry about the photo thing.Had an opportunity the other day to do the photo spread on the eight inch O.S.& Y. valves Ben and I put in(thanks for the support Mark,Rick).
                    Just felt like going low profile.Ben didn't seam to care either,I could be wrong,didn't ask.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Link-Seal

                      Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      We use link seals on most of our projects. On new construction, I prefer to sleeve the wall first just because it's a pain to core drill horizontally.

                      The smaller links are harder to work with for sure. For fire rating we usually recess them about a 1/2" then firecaulk to finished surface.

                      I'll try to find the chart that shows all the sizes and applications and post the link here.
                      So Bill,
                      Out there do you guys take responsibility for your subterranean penetration waterproofing?
                      I deal with this issue on customs with the large number of basements that are becoming popular to high end customers looking to add major square footage.On these projects I see the waterproofer still handling it with Bitchethane,fiber and other miscellaneous products.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Link-Seal

                        Link seals may be a pita, but they work. I always buy them with SS hardware. Why anyone would use regular plated bolts is beyond me. Because the up and down force of horizontal pipe can exert stress on a water proof penetration, the membrane forming the penetration is subject to failure where it adheres to the pipe. The give and take nature of rubber allows Link Seals to absorb these stresses.
                        A product I recently saw at a trade show might be an advance in penetration protection technology. I've made a request for a sample, which I should be getting in a week or so. If it's as good as it's claims, it will be a real time and money saver. Here's a link:
                        http://www.presealedsystems.com/Sleeve.asp

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Link-Seal

                          Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          So Bill,
                          Out there do you guys take responsibility for your subterranean penetration waterproofing?
                          I deal with this issue on customs with the large number of basements that are becoming popular to high end customers looking to add major square footage.On these projects I see the waterproofer still handling it with Bitchethane,fiber and other miscellaneous products.
                          If the hole has my pipe running through it, I am responsible for making it water tight and fire resistant. This isn't the case for everyone? I hate doing it but it's always been a part of our scope.

                          I prefer doing the sleeving and core drilling myself. Most guys forget that you can't get grade on a sewer line running through a level sleeve using Link Seals.

                          Most of our inspectors won't look for plumbing code violations but they will turn you down for spacing on hangers, supports, wrong size and improper sleeving.

                          You guys even have water proofing companies in southern Cali? I heard it never rains there

                          Like Mark said, do it right during the install because it will cost you more later on.

                          http://www.farwst.com/ccp/insuseal/link02.htm

                          We've been using this Proset product for a few years. Works great! http://www.prosetsystems.com/WaterGuard.htm
                          Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-12-2009, 05:49 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Link-Seal

                            Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            If the hole has my pipe running through it, I am responsible for making it water tight and fire resistant. This isn't the case for everyone? I hate doing it but it's always been a part of our scope.

                            I prefer doing the sleeving and core drilling myself. Most guys forget that you can't get grade on a sewer line running through a level sleeve using Link Seals.

                            Most of our inspectors won't look for plumbing code violations but they will turn you down for spacing on hangers, supports, wrong size and improper sleeving.

                            You guys even have water proofing companies in southern Cali? I heard it never rains there

                            Like Mark said, do it right during the install because it will cost you more later on.

                            http://www.farwst.com/ccp/insuseal/link02.htm

                            We've been using this Proset product for a few years. Works great! http://www.prosetsystems.com/WaterGuard.htm

                            Bill,
                            Thank you.
                            I was doing it right.Now I'm knowledgeable enough to do even more of the architect's job.

                            Does everyone in your area apply this so the bidding is balanced?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Link-Seal

                              So I have to come to the conclussion that these are installed on the accessible side of whatever wall one is working with leaving the rest of the core/sleeve open to backfill.
                              I'm hoping you don't put one on the outside towards the fill.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X