X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Wrench Spinner

I got some RPZ questions. Do you work on them or just spec and install them?

Re: Hey Wrench Spinner

I do both shoot away Bogart ill do my best to help you!

Comment

Do both checks have to be good to make the relief valve dump while testing it? I took the class 3 years ago and I can't remember most of what they taught me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
        Do both checks have to be good to make the relief valve dump while testing it? I took the class 3 years ago and I can't remember most of what they taught me.

When you test the discharge valve you apply pressure from port 1 or 2 to port 3 equalizing the pressure on each side of check number 1, this causes the baffle to open on the relief port.

if check number 1 were bad then the pressure would already be equalized on each side of check 1, so the rpz would be dumping when you arrived.

if check 2 were bad the rpz would only dump if backpressure were to equalize the pressure at test port 3 with that of test port 2.

so no, the second check can be bad and still have normal operation of the relief valve when you test.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

sorry it took me so long to get back to you bogart, but moJourneyman is correct

Comment

I have a couple of RPZ's I am installing new check discs in because the relief opens up, just not when I am testing it's function. I think it's because both the discs aren't seating. The gauge shows the psi differential dropping at a very slow rate. I don't think it's the relief valve, but rather the checks aren't holding.

Comment

that sounds like something creating backpressure in the system, and the second check leaking.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

In the one school there is back pressure because the hot and cold to a mop faucet is crossed, and it has a recirc pump. This RPZ went into full dump earlier in the school year. I put a lazy hand pressure gauge on, and it was at 120 psi, the pressure when I tested was 50. I think the combination of back pressure and high pressure spikes have caused deep grooves in the check discs, I am replacing them tomorrow. However, I shut off the outlet valve when testing, and it holds. I will let you all know what happens.

Comment

Working...
                X