Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is this right?

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    I don't work on much commercial. Is this right?

J.C.
    Looks to me like the dummy who did the work did not Know how to read a tape measure or maybe his/hers was metric!

Comment

Did they install the vacuum breaker in there? That was a lot of thought to do the whole thing wrong.

Comment

I know it's not right. But at the same time, I HAVEN'T worked on that many Sloans where this is the case.

Suggestions are welcomed. The pic may not indicate it but the difference between the center of the valve and the spud is about 1-5/8". Don't know if an offset VB will even fit.

The shutoff for the building looks VERY shaky. 2" gate valve from the 60's maybe.

J.C.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-16-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

You are going to have to lengthen the nipple out of the wall or if it is a sweat type valve stop lengthen the copper pipe. So you will have to shut off the water to investigate. Sounds like a nice invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
            You are going to have to lengthen the nipple out of the wall or if it is a sweat type valve stop lengthen the copper pipe. So you will have to shut off the water to investigate. Sounds like a nice invoice.
            I know you're right.

Was trying to avoid the potential nightmares.

J.C.

Comment

That is why you are THE PLUMBER

Comment

Does it leak?...no?.... Problem solved

The problem with extending the copper is; you have to make a solder joint back inside the wall or the cover tube won't fit with a coupling on there

Best to try a offset vacuum breaker and be sure to use a chrome split ring hanger to support it. Lots of exposed piping hanging out there

Might even be easier to just change the bowl
                Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-16-2009, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Get rid of the cover tube and use a sharkbite. Polish the brass like the Burger king Back flow preventer Rick posted awhile back.

Comment

If you have to use an 1" copper coupling, chuck the cover tubing and escutcheon replacing them with an 1-1/4" tail piece and flange from your scrap bin. Should fit if you don't leave any dimples on your joints.

Comment

Only if your an illegal..............

Comment

pretty simple to use a sloan swet kit. the chrome cover casing will fit over the cxc coupling and it comes with the mip x c adapter that it too fits over.

if i remember correctly, it's been years you cut the copper 1.125'' back from the c/l of the spud and solder it on. don't quote me since it's been years, but i have done my share of flushometers

at least a few hundred

same goes with threaded brass nipples. the finished length should be about the same.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          pretty simple to use a sloan swet kit. the chrome cover casing will fit over the cxc coupling and it comes with the mip x c adapter that it too fits over.

if i remember correctly, it's been years you cut the copper 1.125'' back from the c/l of the spud and solder it on. don't quote me since it's been years, but i have done my share of flushometers

at least a few hundred

same goes with threaded brass nipples. the finished length should be about the same.

rick.
                          Thanks Rick and others. It's been years for me too. And I didn't do even half as many. Seems like I do recall using a threaded slip x swt. brass adapter. I'm wanting to say it was slip through without stop.

Hmmmm......

J.C.

Comment

What a frickin' nightmare.
                            Con: illegal, unsightly, and ready to blow out and cause a flood.
                            Pro: it was done cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart;235879[B
                              ]What a frickin' nightmare.[/B]
                              Con: illegal, unsightly, and ready to blow out and cause a flood.
                              Pro: it was done cheap
                              Welcome to my world. I guess they would never call if it was easy.

J.C.

Comment

That's my world, too. My gig is industrial/commercial service plumbing. A lot of skilled mechanics have worked on the plumbing before I get there. Unfortunately, their skill isn't in plumbing.

Comment

Working...
                                X