X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflict Of Interest?

The last few months i've been tossing around getting my general contractors license. I have a friend who is a great tradesman kind of a jack of all trades he has been un employed for a while now. my plumbing company is almost busy enough i could take on another guy but not busy enough. what i was thinking is alot of times i do work at peoples houses and the leaky toilet has wiped out the floor or they want there sinks replaced but they dont want to keep there outdated countertop. i just give this work away to a couple smaller handyman guys and it use to work out well but now they are doing there own plumbing so i was thinking why couldnt i do the same. im not thinkin big renovations, mainly bath and kitchen up dates. my friend told me he would get in the plumbing apprenticship program. i think it would be a good complimant to my plumbing business and something good i could offer my customers. what do you guys think?
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: Conflict Of Interest?

If they re plumbing then why should you feel a conflict for doing the general stuff.

I think being able to broaden the scope of your work is smart business.

Comment

I'd do it. We are looking at other avenues to generate revenue as well. It just makes sense.
      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
        If they re plumbing then why should you feel a conflict for doing the general stuff.

I think being able to broaden the scope of your work is smart business.
        could not agree more

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

In Connecticut I am required to have a contractor's license in addition to my electrical license to do any work other than electrical. I took the plunge a couple years ago and it has really paid off. I went to a customer's house to replace a couple of receptacles and he mention his garage door opener was slinging grease or oil all over his overhead garage door. This turned into me taking down the chain and pressure washing the oil out of it, lubing with a dry spray lube made for the chains, servicing the door, degreasing and painting the garage door. I did several other things for him at the time, (none of which was electrical in nature) and a $200 service call turned into $2060 for which I received the check today. He was extremely happy to have to deal with only one company to get a variety of work done. You should do the same.

Comment

I acquired my General Contractors License 4-years after I got my Plumbing Contractors license. There are many advantages to it and I can't think of any disadvantages of it.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Any time you can provide the complete package to the customer you are doing them a service. If you can bring the same level of quality to this work as your other (and you must like his work or you wouldn't be comfortable recommending him) hey go for it. The tough part is is always getting the right amount of the work; too little and you can't pay for the guy, too much and you leave customers hurting from schedule.

I try to push into new areas slowly, with full knowledge and planning for not making enough to pay for it at first; I'm exploring it to see if I like doing it and can make 1) myself happy 2) customer happy 3) employee happy. If it doesn't work for everyone, it just turns into a headache.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Check your area. In Nunya the term "Contracting" doesn't come into play until a dollar threshold is reached. Anything under that amount does not fall under the rules & laws of contracting here.

What you're describing would probably never reach the contracting threshold for my area.

Check your area though. Here if you go above the threshold, and aren't licensed, they do NOT have to pay you.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Check your area. In Nunya the term "Contracting" doesn't come into play until a dollar threshold is reached. Anything under that amount does not fall under the rules & laws of contracting here.

What you're describing would probably never reach the contracting threshold for my area.

Check your area though. Here if you go above the threshold, and aren't licensed, they do NOT have to pay you.

J.C.

I am probably wrong but jobs under $500.00 here in Oregon don't require a license. Now Trent or one of you other guys please correct me if I am wrong. However I think you right JC.

Comment

Our "Handyman Exemption" is $500 in California as well.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I had a handyman I referred for carpenter work...until he started doing plumbing and not referring my company. Screw'em, if you can do it!

Comment

in washington i am a specialty contractor so my license only covers me for plumbing. a general contractor can do any work that you dont need a specialty license for and you can sub out to other contractors
                        Mike
                        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Working...
                        X