stinky shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stinky shower

so yesterday i go to a job at the beach for a new customer.

his newly remodeled duplex has a smell in the upper unit shower. these are new tenants that are paying a fortune to live at the beach.

before i even go there i'm thinking a shower pan with plugged weep holes and bacteria under the tile. this typically causes a stink when it gets wet

go upstairs with the manager and was impressed with the unit. bathroom spotless and shower drain as clean as it was from the factory. although this is 5 years old it's spotless.

then i look into the drain and see that the trap has little water. so i try to fill it with a cup and it drains down again.

so i have them flush the lower unit toilet and i can hear the toilet. i'm thinking no trap. so i have them add some pine sol to give the flush a smell.

sure enough you can smell what they ate for lunch

i suggest to cut the ceiling open below and see what's going on.

then the owner shows up and tells me he had the unit renovated 5 years ago by his general contractor now living in italy

so i cut a 6'' x 6'' hole and it's damp.

what i see is unbelievable

the 2'' instant set shower drain is leaking.

the drain is not trapped. it's connected to a 2'' abs 1/4 bend that's bushed with a 2x1.5 bushing. that's what causes it to hold a little water.

a foot downstream is a san tee on it's side trying to be a vent.

it's run flat and has a vent 90 running flat towards the wall.

owner is asking what can be done without ripping apart the ceiling

not much, you also have to open the tile around the drain to fix the leaking drain.

i advised him to call his contractor in italy

have fun with the pictures

rick.

1/4 bend with bushiing and white stains from leaking joint.

san tee on its side for venting.

flat venting and vent 90.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-18-2009, 09:24 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: stinky shower

The MicroDrain would have told you the same thing without cutting a hole

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      If only Rick had a propensity to invest in the proper tools to solve his customer's problems.

I would like to understand the vent problem better. If I understand, basically the vent is along side and ties into a vertical vent, but because it is along side and horizontal, it will just fill up with water instead of letting the air in?

Comment

Hell Rick, you just need to add more bushings so it will hold a little more water there. It's 1/2" water lines to the shower so all you need is 1/2" to drain it. Wont get much stink through a 1/2" pipe!
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I guess we don't need traps anymore.
          I guess that is how it nowadays.I had a kitchen with no trap.
          Unsupervised labor,unlicensed plumbers,handymen.
          Lions,Tigers and Bears.....

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            I guess we don't need traps anymore.
            I guess that is how it nowadays.I had a kitchen with no trap.
            Unsupervised labor,unlicensed plumbers,handymen.
            Lions,Tigers and Bears.....
            Oh my!
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              If only Rick had a propensity to invest in the proper tools to solve his customer's problems.

I would like to understand the vent problem better. If I understand, basically the vent is along side and ties into a vertical vent, but because it is along side and horizontal, it will just fill up with water instead of letting the air in?
              Interferes with the proper flow of water too. Water will spread out and slow down so any solids can build up here.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                of course i thought of it and mentioned it to them. but if you knew how cheap they were. they barely approved my 1 hour call.

remember that the camera will not fix the issue.

i already knew it had no trap. that was obvious.

the 6'' hole showed me the leak and all the junk that was installed.

the camera would have only proved there was no trap.

so although the camera is a great tool

the mind is better

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  of course i thought of it and mentioned it to them. but if you knew how cheap they were. they barely approved my 1 hour call.

the mind is better

rick.
                  I...I feel so weak...It's so dark...Fading...Fading.
                  Rick,can you come closer??? Please,I don't have much left....I ..

BULLCR@P!!!

Comment

Owner sys to contractor: " Why didn't you install a p trap on the shower drain?

Contractor " Do you really think that many people Pee in the shower?"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

the mine is better

rick.
                      I have to disagree with you Rick. Ridgid has charged you with the responsibility to test a prototype microDrain. For that reason alone you needed to use the camera and document the results. I guess if you owned a microExplorer it would have been easier to use the microDrain but you still should have used it. In addition, if you had a microExplorer you could have found a way to make a tiny unobtrusive hole to figure out what was in there.

Mark

Note to self: Tell Joey, Rick needs a microExplorer if he is going to play with the big boys.
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

mark, so you thought i wasn't going to notice your swap of words .

the mind is better. not mine

once again i was going to use the camera for a non intrusive peak.

but they were not going to pay anything more than my 1 hour and truthfully there would be no way to have seen the leak, or venting issues with the micro or any camera.

plus the 6'' hole was dead on and it allows the ceiling to vent since it was wet just under the trap.

true i don't own the explorer. and your correct the microdrain is best when paired up with the micro explorer.

but then again, i'm waiting for my dvd pack to show up that i bought at the trade show. this will 1 up the explorer for recording and monitoring. still will be ultra portable and super long run times.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

You could confirm the leak and vent in less than an hour with the ME.

Doesn't make you wrong. Everyone has there own way of doing things. And that ceiling WILL have to be cut even more.

But you could confirm this with the ME.

This is a second floor flange & bend through about a 7/8" hole in the first floor ceiling.

J.C.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Rick,
                            I use my Micro to locate leaks a lot.
                            I don't understand why your saying the micro(explorer or otherwise) would not show the leak.
                            The vent I can understand it possibly being out of range.

Sorry,I just don't want people getting the wrong idea about the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              You could confirm the leak and vent in less than an hour with the ME.

Doesn't make you wrong. Everyone has there own way of doing things. And that ceiling WILL have to be cut even more.

But you could confirm this with the ME.

This is a second floor flange & bend through about a 7/8" hole in the first floor ceiling.

J.C.
                              Back down right there Pal.
                              You have not even applied for MEME status,much less approved.

Comment

Working...
                              X