Imperial/Standard Vs Metric

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Imperial/Standard Vs Metric

When Australia went metric we took the soft metric option example where 1/2" = 12mm instead of 12.700.0mm, or 3/4"= 19mm instead of 19.050.0 and 1"= 25mm instead of 25.400.0, all existing plumbng fittings, and threads sizes stayed the same, all that happened was the measurement name changed from imperail to metric it was a pain in the *** at first but then imperial wasn`t any better.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
      A decimal system is easier. However, mastery of our avoirdupois system, which as you all know is not really that challenging, forces us to use our little grey cells, the use of which is very important for their health and well being. Need I to conger up the visual of the hapless young Micky D's employee struggling to make change when a customer gives them a dollar, nickel and penny when the total owed is 81 cents. Ah, for the colonial days of pounds, shillings and pense (LSD).
      ROTFLMAO! I almost spit soda all over my keyboard when I read that! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post

Auto mechanics definitely live in a dual world, and at first it was straightforward.....you work on a toyota, etc...break out the metric set. Ford....back to the English. But many cars nowadays can be mixed, because of where they are made.

International business will contiunue to place pressure on industry to be metric, and that is how the conversion will slowly work in.
        Hey I used to own an "American car" that was built in Canada with a Japanese engine. American? We are now consumers of the world no matter where we live. Unless you make fire with dung and eat whatever flies or slithers through your village.
        ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

i use my metric conversion calculator almost every day.

Vince

Comment

Working...
          X