X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial/Standard Vs Metric

when i was a very young half-breed in winnipeg, prime minister trudeau decided that kanada will convert to the metric system. you know, metres, litres. the whole nine yards .

30 something years later and we're still converting.

but i have to admit that it's finally starting to have an affect (effect?) on me.

kilometres, kilograms,..........it's all starting to come about. all of the measurements are in tens.

although i'll be the first to admit that 1 1/2" pipe is exactly that, 1 1/2 " pipe. a 2"X4" is a 2"X4".

your thoughts

Vince

Re: Imperial/Standard Vs Metric

i think the only ones that converted here were the big 3, soon to be the little 2

truthfully the metric system is much easier to compute.

i tend to use quasi metric when i compute in the standard system.

i use decimal feet.

if you read my post, i always use 1.5'', not 1 1/2''

basically it's a math formula. .125'' = 1/8''

much easier to compute than fractions.

metric is basically the same deal using 10's.

i like it, but unfortunately it's never going to make it here.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

We have been living with the metric system most of my life, and I also still do most in imperial measurement. Metric may be more logical but I think it will take another generation at least for the old system to fall away.
      Isn't a 2x4 actually 1.5"x3.5"

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
        We have been living with the metric system most of my life, and I also still do most in imperial measurement. Metric may be more logical but I think it will take another generation at least for the old system to fall away.
        Isn't a 2x4 actually 1.5"x3.5"
        not the timbers i salvaged off the ship wreck.

Vince

Comment

It amazes me that you in the US are not using the metric system for when watching National Geo on Sat TV or other US programs the measurments are always in metric, and watching one of my favorite Sci-fi also made in the US they are all in metric so you carn't have it both ways as most of the world has gone metric as imperial is in the past.

Tony

Comment

Just curious, so how do you refer to a 2x4 or a 4x8 sheet of plywood? While metric has many advantages, it isn't always that easy to get there. Driving in Canada can be problematic when I see a highway sign with a distance reading 145. Is that miles or kilometers, and how does one know which?

Comment

Originally posted by Don in Seattle View Post
              Just curious, so how do you refer to a 2x4 or a 4x8 sheet of plywood? While metric has many advantages, it isn't always that easy to get there. Driving in Canada can be problematic when I see a highway sign with a distance reading 145. Is that miles or kilometers, and how does one know which?
              that's the issue don. if there was a metric equivalent that was the exact dimensions, then we would be able to swap it 1 for 1 great.

in theory it's a 50mm x100mm. but in reality it's a 37mm x 84mm give or take a couple mm

don't mind calling it a 50 x 100 if it's interchangeable.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

As for street and highway signs the official measurement standard is metric and it is all you will ever see on any road in Canada....unless you are in Quebec....as with all else they will come up with their own system

Comment

We made a half-hearted attempt in the US a number of years ago to switch over, and it did not "take". Right now, we have dual systems in use, de-facto, and I suspect it will remain like this for a long time.

What a hastle it would be in the building industry if we had to by sheet of 125 cm X 250 cm drywall and trim it to fit in an old buiding.

The principal holdover from out attempted conversion is bottled water, wine, and booze! And how many of us still refer to a bottle of booze as a fifth, rather than a "750" !!!

Auto mechanics definitely live in a dual world, and at first it was straightforward.....you work on a toyota, etc...break out the metric set. Ford....back to the English. But many cars nowadays can be mixed, because of where they are made.

International business will contiunue to place pressure on industry to be metric, and that is how the conversion will slowly work in.

Comment

I sometimes wish prints were in metric.

3 5/8" + 5/8" + 5' 2 1/8" + 5/8" + 3 5/8"

I covert to decimal, but mm and cm would be easier, IMO.

Comment

Until the housing manufacturers get on board it ain't gonna happen here. Plywood comes in 4' x 8' sheets and we frame 16" OC. converting all that would be a major PIA and a huge expense. Then you get down to close tolerance machine work in the 10,000 in. range and the metric system goes out the window also. It was and is a stupid idea in the first place. Even in industrialized nations where metric is the standard they still revert to std for close tolerance work.
                      sigpic

Comment

(one ten thousandth) inch = 0.00254 millimeters

What's the problem?

Comment

one of the reasons it was such a failure here in the US was land measurement, it is in miles and acres, it would just be stupid to change it to some thing that did not fit,

the biggest problems is the conversion, and the mixing of parts,

metric bolts with Inch threads, (china specials), but when metric can easily have three thread pitches for each size, and mix in NC and NF threads, it can be interesting to find the correct size and pitch, of bolt nut, for repair and replacements, or if they get mixed,

I think for the most part the world used 4'x8' plywood (at lest that was what I was last told), the thickness is mostly metric tho, in much of it,

and the problem comes when one is trying to convert from one system to the other to think in it, if one works metric lean to think in it, and the same for the inch system,
                          (I will not say imperial as there are differences from the British system and the US system in mechanical things,)

when machining in inch's and metric the reason I use inch is my machines are threaded in inches, and not metric so the turn of the knob is so many thousands, not millimeters,
                          if it was threaded in metric I would use metric, my dials are in thousands of an inch,
                          but if I am milling or turning some thing I use a metric caliper to do metric and a inch for inch's, but I am converting to do the dials in to guesstimate metric, when actually running the machine, with a lot of checking of the measurements,

but if something is in inch's use inch's if in metric use metric,

I think one of the biggest mistakes of the US school system was to start out teaching one how to convert between the two, instead of just learning of the metric system,

if one had a height rule in the little one class rooms to measure there heights in give the temperatures in metric, weigh the things in the class room in metric, measure in metric, as well as in inch's and feet, and not necessary to convert,

but we all (in the US) grew up know what a quart was or a yard was, most can hold there hands out to about a yard for quick measurement, or guess a quart of liquid,

but most do not know what a meter is or a centimeter in guessament, or look across a room and say that is about 3 x 5 meters, but you can say it is about 10 by 16 feet,

I have yet to get the metric thermometer in my mind, and think in it in any way shape or form,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

A decimal system is easier. However, mastery of our avoirdupois system, which as you all know is not really that challenging, forces us to use our little grey cells, the use of which is very important for their health and well being. Need I to conger up the visual of the hapless young Micky D's employee struggling to make change when a customer gives them a dollar, nickel and penny when the total owed is 81 cents. Ah, for the colonial days of pounds, shillings and pense (LSD).

Comment

When I was young the rebuilt the interstate (I 19) from Nogales AZ (home town) to Tucson. The marked/ labeled it in Kilometers instead of miles. It was supposed to be the way things were going. It still has Kilometers on the signs but the speed limit is still in miles per hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X